SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Grand Tour season 4
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grand Tour season 4 Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
Episode 2 is out. Enjoyable.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5646 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched it with my oldest son last night (like we did when my sons were young and it was Top Gear). Had some funny moments, but It was not as good as most of their "epic" tours, the treasure hunt idea was lame

Posts: 713 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
They've all become a bit formulaic, but they're still fun.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What started out as interesting with lots potential, fizzled out at the end.

I get a sense one of two things or, perhaps both are going on:
1. There's a lack of writing talent. With the BBC, then early Amazon funding, they were able to pull-in just about whomever they needed. TGT on Amazon, had its growing pains as a format but, not storylines. Now, things seem to have tapered-off and what we're getting is interesting ideas that aren't fully fleshed-out. The last handful of shows have been...underwhelming.

2. Clarkson is overbearing and crushing whatever ideas are being put out there. We know this show is his baby and sometimes, when you're too invested into a project, you end up eliminating the spark out of an idea.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I did enjoy the funny moments, and I guess they had to have a reason to go to Madagascar, where they've never filmed from before. This one doesn't have the staying power of some of the others to be rewatchable. They also risk becoming too predictable even for their own parameters. I don't know what they'll do next. It was supposed to be Russia before COVID. I'd like them to do some interesting challenges and throw in some meaningful history. That they typically do well. Since we can't travel seeing the other scenery was nice.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5646 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I was underwhelmed by this one as well.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I just re-watched all of episodes of TGT and will watch Episode 2 tomorrow

did watch a series with James May in Japan and a few episodes of a compendium of shows by Hammond

there was also a show of a trip through Italy with Hammond and Clarkson which had some great photography

Posts: 53192 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
The best parts of their adventures are the unscripted ones.

When they were going to move fish from the coast to the interior of Africa and James had his Mercedes aquarium. When he went forward and the water sloshed over him - Jezza and Hammond about died with laughter, as did I.

It feels like this one had almost no unscripted moments - the humor was all forced. I still love seeing the guys doing their thing, but they need to be riffing on each other more often.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I just realized that Hammond said his vehicle not finishing in this for the first time in any of their travels, but his Land Cruiser didn't finish in Bolivia/Chile

posted Hide Post
Mixed feelings about it, but glad it finally came out.

I echo what most others have said, the treasure hunt concept was lame. I would much rather them just set out as a challenge to drive across Madagascar. I like the concept, if it's true. Purchase a "car" then oh wait, curveball... you're going to Madagascar. Just film the adventure that awaits from there. I'm sure there's hours of footage that would have shown the difficultness of that alone along with unscripted laughs along the way.

As always however, great camera work and scenery.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
I just realized that Hammond said his vehicle not finishing in this for the first time in any of their travels, but his Land Cruiser didn't finish in Bolivia/Chile

Donkey made it 99% of the way...if only a couple of hands hadn't given it a shove upon seeing the Pacific Big Grin

BTW- I think that episode is the greatest of all the specials they've ever done.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
It was a weak episode, but I wonder how much of that had to do with the COVID shutdown? Did they have to scramble and put together a bunch of footage they'd already shot just to have an episode? The whole thing just felt...unfinished.

It was fun watching May be miserable though. He always seems to get the car that fills with water. Man takes it like a sport. He's probably become my favorite of the three and his solo shows are generally really enjoyable as well.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Finally got around to watching this today.
Still quite amusing, but not up to what prior episodes have been.

Hilarious watching the flows of mud repeatedly washing over May.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15338 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hilarious watching the flows of mud repeatedly washing over May.

Having been to a few third world countries.....that wasn't JUST mud. Eek

A used/filled/trashed Port-A-Potty at a large outdoor festival in July doesn't smell near as bad as "muddy water" in a third world shithole.

And that is why I laughed my ass off during those scenes.

Posts: 3937 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I watched it and enjoyed it for what it was

the photography is still pretty awesome

Posts: 53192 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post