SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Ford vs. Ferrari blooper
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford vs. Ferrari blooper Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted
Anybody else here catch the part during the dialog between Carroll Shelby and Henry Ford II during their meeting at Ford headquarters where HF points out the window at a building and remarks how many planes they built there (WWII)

Only problem,his office in the “Glass House” the nickname for Ford Headquarters in Dearborn is 26 miles from Willow Run, the plant built to build the B24 Liberators. And as a P.S., I don’t see Ford pointing out a building that housed GM facilities as at that time Hydramatic transmissions and Chevy Corvairs were being built there.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8364 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
It could be worse.

There could be a big movie about a gladiator who is constantly referred to as a 'Spaniard'.

So he was about 600 years early?

Confused

Posts: 9401 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
No I didn’t catch the part. Must’ve been aired a few decades ago.

Henry Ford II
Born September 4, 1917
Died September 29, 1987

Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Ford_II

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9429 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
It could be worse.

There could be a big movie about a gladiator who is constantly referred to as a 'Spaniard'.

So he was about 600 years early?

Confused

Hispania was the name given by the Romans to the Peninsula. They conquered it and divided into two Hispania provinces before Gladiator time period, during and after. While odd sounding and not correct regarding Gladiator’s origin, the stage name given by his handler is historically correct.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12258 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
In spite of the many inaccuracies, I liked this flick. Nice job on the vintage cars and great dialog.
Henry Ford II: And we're gonna bury that goddamn greasy wop 100 feet deep under the finish line at Le Mans. And I will be there to watch it.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9415 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Oh, that's not the only historical inaccuracy of the movie. There's a lot more, it's not an accurate portrayal of the effort and the drama that went into winning LeMans. Look for, "The 24 Hour War" documentary if you want to know the real story.

That said, I like the movie if nothing else for the exhaust sound of a 427 Ford.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11882 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the movie and have seen it multiple times. I am a true GT40 junkie!!

Posts: 6707 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Oh, that's not the only historical inaccuracy of the movie. There's a lot more, it's not an accurate portrayal of the effort and the drama that went into winning LeMans. Look for, "The 24 Hour War" documentary if you want to know the real story.

That said, I like the movie if nothing else for the exhaust sound of a 427 Ford.

Excellent recommendation, really enjoyed that one.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15966 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:

Hispania was the name given by the Romans to the Peninsula...

0-0

Thanks!

As a side note, I knew of a gentleman who has a side oiler 427 that he had for sale.

I couldn't swing it at the time, but he also had an Offenhauser FE intake complete with eight Weber carbs(!).

Alls I could do was stare and dream. The guy I was with made off with some 429 Cobra Jet D00E heads.

Later I wound up with a lot of Mopar goodies. Big Grin

Posts: 9401 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
My side note about the 427,

1964 I was twelve and a gear head. My parents bought a new Mercury Park Lane convertible. I had them pretty much talked into a 427 but the salesman convinced them to go with a 390 instead.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8364 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yesterday at Mecum Monterrey a 1969 Ford GT40 Lightweight, one of 10 factory competition models made, sold for $7.1 Million dollars.

It has the original 289/440hp with Gurney Eagle performance parts, it has it's original body, drivetrain, chassis, truly a rare vehicle.

The video does a good job of detailing the GT, it's history, it did race and win.

Every film has some form of blooper, but FVF was fairly accurate, sometimes you have to embellish in scenes to get the proper reaction, but this one does get the message across. Have to say I wondered if Matt Dameon could pull off Shelby and he did a great job, but the really amazing actor, JMO, was Christian Bale.

While the main idea was about the cars, in reality it became a story of Ken Miles. A great movie.

Link

Posts: 24203 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HRK,

Thanxs for that video.....I had not seen it. I also was watching the Mecum auction last night and saw the $$ that car brought....WOW!! I have no idea how many of those 10 1969 GT40 lightweight cars are still in existence. They proved their worth many times over.

Posts: 6707 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
HRK,

Thanxs for that video.....I had not seen it. I also was watching the Mecum auction last night and saw the $$ that car brought....WOW!! I have no idea how many of those 10 1969 GT40 lightweight cars are still in existence. They proved their worth many times over.

You are welcome, that was a hell of an auction, the numbers were impressive both days, Ferrari Friday and USA Muscle Saturday.

Wait for Kissimmee 2025 - Paul Newmans Steve McQueens personal Porsche 917 Hero car that was used in Le Mans is going up for sale, they released the information at Monterrey and unveiled the car in a glass box. Estimates are $15 meeeelion dollars or more..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

Posts: 24203 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ You just had me wondering if Paul had akso made a race related movie. One eyebrow shot up high in the sky…

Let’s rephrase it as Steve McQueen and we are all good. Wink

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12258 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post