Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CLP and Cycling Login/Join 
Picture of tpmcman
posted
Im an avid cyclist and was wondering if anyone experimented with using CLP on a bike chain. Seems like the viscosity and other properties would make it a great chain lube. LMKYT

Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.
― Ronald Reagan

Posts: 8 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Never tried that, but it makes a good shaving cream.

Cleans, Lubricates, and Protects. What more could you want in a shaving cream?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I've sprayed CLP on my bike chain without problem, but then again I'm a fair-weather rider, with light use.

If I were competitive or going hard off-trail, I might stick to recommended chain lube brands like Muc Off or Rock and Roll

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, I tried it. As far as I could tell it was no better\worse than any of the cycling specific lubes. Proper cleaning does more to prolong chain life than the type of lube, in my experience.

I tried everything from motor oil to high tech evaporating Teflon sprays.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 2424 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best chain lube is paraffin wax, preferably applied by dunking the chain in a hot pot filled with molten wax. It cleans and lubes in one operation.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I use white lighting that is a wax based lube. works great. i wouldnt think that the clp would stay on the chain that long so it might work but probably not the best for the job. I have heard of people using tri flow as well. Just stay away from WD-40!!!

Posts: 7800 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Never tried that, but it makes a good shaving cream.

I keep a small bottle in my bathroom to use on my beard trimmer. Works great.

Sure it would work on a bike chain.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I use Pro Gold. Wipe, apply, wipe, apply, lightly wipe off excess. I do this every ride, chain is always clean, and wear is minimal. Takes two minutes. Been a pretty serious road cyclist since 1975.

I'll assume like CLP, Pro Gold has some solvent in it that cleans then evaporates leaving lubricant. Bottle says to do treatment at end of ride which I think is good because it leaves new lube on chain until next ride, and also knocks off the grundge before it sets, and gives time for the solvent to evaporate, leaving lube.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I suspect Progold Prolink makes an okay gun lube.

A thin-bodied lubricant which utilizes metal friction reducer technology for smooth shifting and a quiet drive train. Does not build up or become tacky; sheds dirt, mud, and abrasives. Also repels moisture and prevents corrosion.

https://progoldmfr.com/product/prolink-chain-lube/

Posts: 3521 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post