SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bob Ross documentary (Netflix)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bob Ross documentary (Netflix) Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
"Bob Ross: Happy Accidents, Betrayal & Greed"

A surprising look at the the ugly goings on with Bob's legacy.
Well worth the watch for Bob Ross fans.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
Watched it last nite too. I enjoyed it. I just can't believe how his legacy was stolen.

Posts: 1539 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen this documentary yet but reruns of the original Bob Ross is occasionally on an obscured cable channel here.
Some how it mesmerizes me to watch the whole show, even today. Eek

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I haven't seen this documentary yet but reruns of the original Bob Ross is occasionally on an obscured cable channel here.
Some how it mesmerizes me to watch the whole show, even today. Eek

Download PlutoTV there is a Bob Ross channel one can watch 24/7.
I’ll have to check out the documentary.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25428 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Download Pluto TV there is a Bob Ross channel one can watch 24/7.
I’ll have to check out the documentary.

When it's on - that's enough for me otherwise I might be tempted to binge watch and that would akin of wasting time like a video game player.
I still like it but enough is enough.
FWIW, I did just catch the documentary and it is rather sad. Frown

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
My wife is a farmer's daughter and her folks loved Bob Ross. Like so many, they tried their hand at painting, dad a little better than mom but neither was going to get their own show. But their limited lives were expanded and they tried new stuff. Their pics are ok if not great but knowing the fun they had makes them special.

Agree with smschulz, in the end a sad story, greed and betrayal indeed. Bob Ross was often treated like a punch line, but watching him work was mesmerizing.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8349 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta watch that Malice at the Palace docu before I get to Ross....

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Does it portray him in a bad light? I thought I had read somewhere that his family was not happy about it.

I really enjoyed watching him when I was younger, quite honestly if were skeletons in his background I don’t know that I want to know what they are.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12337 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The only thing that I would view negative for Bob is him having an affair, but it's with a woman who is one of the main people in the back story. There are people unhappy with it I'm sure, but they're not Bob's family.
They're the people who did the family wrong.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only thing that I would view negative for Bob is him having an affair, but it's with a woman who is one of the main people in the back story. There are people unhappy with it I'm sure, but they're not Bob's family.
They're the people who did the family wrong.

Huh. My whole life I had thought that he was gay.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12337 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Oh no, Bob was a player. The ladies loved him and he loved them back. lol

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Smile

Kind of a big point in the doc. Bob's dialogue and delivery could be more than a little suggestive. Sort of the Barry White of painting.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8349 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched this a few years ago. I loved his show as a kid. I was a fan of PBS cooking and his show in general. I want to watch this, but I don't have netflix.

There was some controversy when I was a kid. His system was very similar to a system developed by another painter. Bob became famous the other man did not.

Here is where all the paintings are.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
That women Annette and her husband Walter are the ones who ended up owning the whole company and even the rights to Bob's name. She now also claims to be the only one who can tell the real ones from the fakes. (and there are claims THEY'RE the ones pumping out the fakes)

I remember seeing an interview with someone years ago saying most of the paintings didn't exist as they didn't keep them, they reused the stuff to save money.

The "other guy" Bill Alexander, was famous in his own right. Ross was a student, protege and employee of Alexander, no secrets there.