SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Stereo Component question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Stereo Component question Login/Join 
posted
I am currently in the market for a new stereo system consisting of a CD player, an integrated amplifier, and a pair of speakers.
I am considering Denon or Yamaha cd players.
Denon or Yamaha or Marantz integrated amplifiers.
Paradigm Founder Series 40B speakers.
Budget would be 10,000. Or less complete.
Would rather spend less of course.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

"The more People I meet, the more I like Dogs."

Posts: 2921 | Location: Houston,Texas | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
No Vinyl, Rusty? Razz

If anyone should know, you should.
The basics haven't changed all that much for 2ch.

After you find the speakers that work for you then consider the source.
CD transport of choice, paired with a quality DAC such as the Topping D90.
Anthem STR Integrated Amp.
Good Streaming device ~ actually better than CD ~ EverSolo DMP-A6 is a cool new unit.
If a big streamer ~ ROON can tie a lot of the sources together.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lost all vinyl in Harvey flood.

I have a ton of CDs.
Hoping to keep it simple but fairly high quality.

I had an Anthem Integrated 225 years ago that was nice.
I also had a Bryston B100SST integrated with the BCD-1 CD player.

I was thinking Denon 1700 amp and 1700 SACD/CD player.
Or
Marantz Model 30 integrated amp.
Yamaha A-S1200 integrated amp.

Paradigm Founder 40B Speaker set on stands or similar floor standers.

I do know everyone is streaming now but I do not have much knowledge there.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Houston,Texas | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve
Thanks for your suggestions
I will research those items

Regards

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Paradigm Founder 40B

Look into the Goldenear BRX speakers as well.
Very similar to the Paradigm's.

So sorry for your loss. Frown

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Another option is to look at a quality Streamer with Pre-amp function then apply a quality power amp.
I know you now are primarily CD, but a streamer could expand the music very nicely also addressing sound with a better DAC than you will get from a mainstream Int Amp.
Subscribing to Tidal, Qobuz or another high-res service will actually get you better recordings than CD.
Even if you don't use the streaming function right away, you could still attach another input such as CD.
I like the idea of the streamer to have a display instead of just relying on a phone or another device although most of these will integrate an app if required.
Just a thought.

posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, don't listen to one of the McIntosh disc players; it's like picking up and looking through a pair of Swaro binos...very, very BAD for your bank balance. Ask me how I know. It's kind of sad because I hardly use the thing these days since I've gotten so used to doing streaming playlists for the musical variety that CDs and vinyl can't match. Plus my ears aren't as good as they once were.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post