SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Larry McMurtry has died. Horseman, Pass By.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Larry McMurtry has died. Horseman, Pass By. Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted
RIP

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/0...y-mcmurtry-dead.html

(There is a paywall, but if you use an anonymized or incognito browser, it will display.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
When asked what my favorite book is... I answer Lonesome Dove.

The character development is sooo good that Gus Macrae seemed like a real person to me. Never got that feeling from any other author.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1601 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have read and enjoyed a number of his books. Sorry to hear it. RIP.

Posts: 2694 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mttaylor1066:

The character development is sooo good that Gus Macrae seemed like a real person to me. Never got that feeling from any other author.

Agreed, damn good book.
RIP Larry McMurtry

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
“Backward is just not a natural direction for Americans to look- historical ignorance remains a national characteristic” & “The older the violin, the sweeter the music” My two favorite McMurtry quotes.

I’m not sure that most Americans realize who & what they lost today. He shall be missed. Rest easy Cowboy.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Is growin' up always miserable?" Sonny asked. "Nobody seems to enjoy it much."

"Oh, it ain't necessarily misearble," Sam replied. "About eighty percent of the time, I guess."

They were silent again, Sam the Lion thinking of the lovely, spritely girl he had once led into the water, right there, where they were sitting.

"We ought to go to a real fishin' tank next year," Sam said finally. "It don't do to think about things like that too much. If she were here now I'd probably be crazy again in about five minutes. Ain't that ridiculous?"

A half-hour later, when they had gathered up the gear and were on the way to town, he answered his own question. "It ain't really, " he said. "Being crazy about a woman like her's always the right thing to do. Being a decrepit old bag of bones is what's ridiculous.”
- Larry McMurtry, The Last Picture Show

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
“But just let me tell you something, son, a woman's love is like the morning dew, it's just as apt to settle on a horse turd as it is on a rose. So you better just get over it.”
- Larry McMurtry, “Leavin Cheyenne”

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mttaylor1066:

Same here, loved that book.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post