SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Four Masted Barque rounding Cape Horn 1928
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Four Masted Barque rounding Cape Horn 1928 Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
I tried searching and didn't see this video posted, but it is one of my favorites. For any of you who haven't seen it, the film's of Irving Johnson as a young man who grew up in Massachusetts, getting in shape, to enlist as a helper on the 4 masted ship Peking (the largest sailing ship in the world) in 1928, which he did. He took a (8mm?) movie camera and filmed much of his on board experience. Around 60 years later in 1980 the film was cleaned up, put together, remade, and Capitan Irving Johnson himself then in his 80's narrates this 25 minute film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLzBDhilDL0&t=11s

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7095 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Watched the first couple minutes. That phone pole - HOLY CRAP!!!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
That was fascinating. Thanks for posting. We today (and I include myself, not just the youngsters) have no idea how easy we have things.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
On my bucket list is to visit all seven continents. The past year or so I've been looking at interesting ways to get to Antarctica. I've got my mind made up that I want to sail there on a tall ship, the Barque Europa. They let you participate as part of the crew. You can get as involved as you feel comfortable with.

Hopefully that ride will be a bit less eventful whenever I decide to pull that trigger.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting.
It reminds me of my Grandfather who would have been in his 20's then. What a different world.
I try to imagine those MEN listening to a WOKE advocate from this day and age.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
That was fascinating. Thanks for posting. We today (and I include myself, not just the youngsters) have no idea how easy we have things.

I very much agree and often try to put this into perspective to my young and older friends alike. Imagine doing this back in the 1700's. Today's "stress and hardships" are NOTHING compared to what previous generations dealt with.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ridewv,

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7095 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I got a good start on the film and will certainly watch all of it. I kept think of the classic book “Two Years Before the Mast” (Richard Henry Dana Jr.). The diary of an educated man who signed on as a common sailor, Boston to California in the 1830s. I’ve got the book somewhere in a box and I’m certainly going to try and locate it.

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Back when I was actually sailing, I read both books and accounts and like others can't even imagine how hard it was back then....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was fantastic!

Thank you for posting it!!

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I saw that film for the first time at a Maritime museum in, I think, Yaqats, OR on a tandem bike tour.
Years later I found a DVD of it. The early days of film and the last days of sailing, the Western frontier, and the horse and buggy make for fascinating looks into how hard life was, and how people took that hard life for granted.

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post