SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Supreme Design: The 20 liter Jerry Can
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Supreme Design: The 20 liter Jerry Can Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny timing I just bought 4 of the Wavian green NATO "water" cans with appropriate working spouts. It forced me down the EPA/CARB rabbit hole. Until I read up I didn't know there was such a thing as illegal gas can colors. Who knew?

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Excellent video about an incredibly well engineered product.
I had no idea they were a German design as they were always related to the American army to me.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
It's a beautiful thing when something is just so *right*.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I've actually seen this video before, and yes, it's a fascinating story of engineering design and development. So simple, yet so thoroughly thought out.

Three handles on a jerry can: not an accident!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
An incredibly interesting story. Thanks!

Also interesting that this guy who lives on an island with no petrol station can reach the world with his story. The good side of YouTube.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I bought one two years ago. It was new NATO surplus. When Bovington Tank Museum post a photo of the one the British Army captured in France in 1940. It is cool to see how little has changed in 80 years.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Really a fascinating story. I’ll pick one nit: the provision for air in the can is not so the can will float. The can completely filled with gas and zero air would weigh around 42 pounds and the same volume of water weighs around 46 pounds, thus the gas filled can would float. Rather the air pocket is there to allow for thermal expansion of the liquid in the can without bursting the can.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^I noticed that, too. Still a great video.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I watched this video a month or so ago.
So impressed that I went on Amazon and found a genuine NATO Jerry Can (in red)--and of course Amazon can't ship it to California. Roll Eyes

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
At 40+ pounds full, there is no way I could lift it. That is why I asked about this battery powered pump in the previous thread.

https://www.sportystoolshop.co...l-transfer-pump.html

Has anyone used one of these and did it work as advertised?

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 368 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got mine from Lexington Container without the nozzle. I had a couple older nozzles. If I read their site correctly, it’s the nozzle that has to be carb compliant. They claim 50 state legal with the nozzle.

Of course, I may have misinterpretedSmile

Posts: 767 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My read says the nozzle has to be compliant as does the color.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by festus haggen:
At 40+ pounds full, there is no way I could lift it. That is why I asked about this battery powered pump in the previous thread.

https://www.sportystoolshop.co...l-transfer-pump.html

Has anyone used one of these and did it work as advertised?

I know that Wavian makes 2 smaller size cans. 2.6 gallons and 1.3 gallans.

I have a Wavian gas can and its sturdy. Expensive but worth it.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3862 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Saw this on a British Army of The Rhine FB page:

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I bought 8 Wavian cans right after the first discussion and have given two away to friends - two green ones in my truck and four red ones in the garage

they're great

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I got ahold of one of those inferior, redesigned American versions back in high school. It wasn't in good shape, and I wasn't sure what I had at the time, so it's been sitting on the back porch for about 25 years.

I've been thinking lately that I should get a half dozen of these for camping.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The term “Jerry” is interesting to me because that’s how my father frequently referred to the Germans after his combat experiences in Europe during World War II. I assume that Jerry was just a slangy corruption of German, but that and “Krauts” were his usual terms for the former enemies. Despite what comic books and similar histories today would have us believe, I don’t recall his ever referring to German forces as “Nazis.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
From a post some months back, I ordered some Latvian-made NATO Jerry cans from Atlantic British Land Rover parts.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post