New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Wire Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
I didn't watch this when it came out. I started watching it a few weeks ago, and I am almost to the end of season one. I have to say, for an early 2000 look at Baltimore's crack epidemic, it is a pretty good show.

McNulty gets on my nerves at times, but the rest of the cast are perfect fits for their roles.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37083 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
In my opinion it is one of the top ten shows of all time.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait... WHAT?
This is the first time watching it? Eek

One of the most accurate Cop shows out there. The writer is spot on. I believe he worked in the Baltimore school system, and lived in a neighborhood full of City Workers.
The series evolves into politics, teachers & the school system. It slows up in those seasons, and the season in the Port is kinda “Mehh”... but overall, a great series!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had not watched it until last year. I did not have a DVR until then. I thought season two was ok having experience being part of a Union and how things get done.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Wait... WHAT?

Hey, I making the rounds. Smile

I didn't have cable when this was out.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37083 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Don't bail out on season two. The show switches gears a little (actually every season) but it's still very good and the story arc comes around.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
In my opinion it is one of the top ten shows of all time.
Yes, it is certainly top 10.

Each season has a different take / angle, but it's all worthwhile.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I watched it for the first time this year. Very good stuff. I think I fizzled out in season 4, just got a little tired since I was watching a few episodes per day.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Wait... WHAT?

Hey, I making the rounds. Smile

I didn't have cable when this was out.

I know the feeling... Borrowed my buddy's DVD set a few years ago. Wink
I'm watching Justified now (3rd season)
Finished Deadwood about 3 weeks ago.
Hell on Wheels was a few months ago.

One of these days, I'll eventually get to the Sopranos.

You're going to like The Wire!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of these days, I'll eventually get to the Sopranos.

More cerebral than The Wire, but a lot more funny. Family dynamics of a Mob boss in psychotherapy for Panic Attacks. Very well written and performed.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I am laid up with a bad back and have been watching it. Just started season 4 and it is moving too slow for me right now.

I am afraid all of the corruption is a pretty good view of most big cities. I find that very depressing.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I watched most of season one maybe 5 yrs ago,

couldn't finish it,

not that it was bad, but at that time I was managing a grocery store in the hood, and while the area I worked in was no where near as bad as Baltimore,, it was close enough that I did not want to watch a show that reminded me too much of work (and the folks in the area I worked in)

I may revisit it in the future,, or not

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I think I've watched The Wire all the way through at least five times. Great show.

I have DISH and they no longer offer HBO. So no longer have the most awesome series(plural?) available on demand.

I miss that lineup of shows.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
got pretty stupid toward the end

first few seasons were absolutely brilliant IMO

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched it when it first came out but it reminded me too much of work so I stopped watching it.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it was the best show ever. Not all of it. Season 2 drifted and Season 5 as well, but like getting a 93 on a test vs. a 100, which is a LOT of the show.

I have to say it IS a bit dated now.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Great series. I though the Omar character was well played. "♪ the farmer in the dell ♪"

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The story is not. The one thing that you notice is the absence of technology, ie pay phones etc. I enjoy the film noir crime dramas without all the technology to catch the bad guys. Human motives have not changed.

.It is funny to watch those things with kids now. They have never seen a Police call box on the street, dance halls where you paid money to dance with young women. It makes it more interesting to me

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

The story is not. The one thing that you notice is the absence of technology, ie pay phones etc. I enjoy the film noir crime dramas without all the technology to catch the bad guys. Human motives have not changed.

.It is funny to watch those things with kids now. They have never seen a Police call box on the street, dance halls where you paid money to dance with young women. It makes it more interesting to me

VERIZON splashed on all of the pay phones LOL.

www.opspectraining.com

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I’m most likely in the minority on this, but I really liked the Amsterdam season. The idea is tremendously flawed but it would be nice to see police respond to dire circumstances in such a fashion.

It’s also frightening to know that some of the cast, such as Felicia Pearson, who plays Snoop, are convicted felons. But, of course, their experiences bring added authenticity to their performances.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post