SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Which game next?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which game next? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Finished up Pillars of Eternity and Spider-Man. Which should be next? Playing on console, PS4 or Xbox One. Which one should I do next, and any pre game advice

Question:
Next up?

Choices:
Dragon Age - Inquisition (Started it 100 times, never got anywhere)
Outer Worlds
Assassins Creed Odyssey
GTA 5

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
I voted for GTA V because I had a blast playing it and actually finished it. I always loved firing it up and finding out what crazy situation Trevor had got himself into.

That said, Outer Worlds is fun. I stepped away about a month ago and have been distracted by other, shinier things lately.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted for AC Odyssey. The map is enormous, there's always something to do and it's just fun. I started Outer Worlds but I lost interest and I just dont care for playing first person in games like that. I'll probably try it again later though.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm plowing through Fall Out 4.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
AC lost me after III, haven’t been into GTA in a really long time. Been hearing great things about Outer Worlds. I played through Dragon Age and consider it a huge waste of time.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
The AC games got a bit repetitive for me.

GTA V was a blast. Good voice acting and lots of stuff to do.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I never played Inquisition. (In fact, I don't think I played the second one...can't even remember the name.)

I voted Odyssey. The Assassins Creed franchise has been pretty solid and I'm assuming this one was pretty good, too.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Of your options, I voted AC:O. Although I haven't had a chance to play it yet, I've heard good things. Prior AC games were hit (2, Revelations, 3, Black Flag) or miss (Syndicate, Unity, Origins), but Odyssey is apparently back to being a hit.

I wanted to choose Dragon Age, but couldn't. DA 1 was good, 2 was kinda bad, and 3 was just okay.

But I'll also toss out Red Dead Redemption 2 and The Witcher 3, if you haven't played either of those yet. If you like open-world action games like GTA and AC, then these two are even better.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since my 37 year old son determined his place was too boring and is sheltering in place with us, I bought an Xbox to help pass the time. Of the games we’ve played so far, GTA-5 is definitely the most fun.

Posts: 425 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: April 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I want to love Fallout 4 but I just dont

I am a huge fan of Skyrim, and its a similar game just with guns. But for some reason I just cant get into it. I have the GOTY edition, and I just get bored so quickly that I don't get much past 30 - 40 minutes in and quit.

I loved Dragon Age Origins, played the hell out of it. 2 was boring, I like the gameplay but the story was non existent.

Divinity OS and OS2 were excellent, I loved them. Not very fast paced but excellent story and lots of fun.

Pillars of Eternity the same, a slow burn but I enjoyed it.

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you enjoyed Pillars of Eternity, another to consider is Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Similar quasi-D&D-based isometric RPG (like next-gen Baldur's Gate).

Bit of a steeper learning curve than the Pillars of Eternity games, though. The Pathfinder system has lots of little details and tricks that aren't super obvious at first. And it's just close enough to D&D (actually originally based on D&D) to get you into trouble if you know D&D and just assume certain things. But there are tooltips and game encyclopedia entries to help, and copious amounts of online guides to get you up to speed.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
If you're into J-RPGs (Japanese Role-playing Games), consider Dragon Quest XI. I really enjoyed that game, but I've got a lot of love for the Dragon Quest line.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I cant get myself to play console games. I want to try Red Dead Redemtion though.

I will have to just keep playing Guild Wars 2. I dont think I will ever run out of content

Posts: 7800 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I gave up PC gaming a long, long time ago. Elder Scrolls Daggerfall I think finally broke me. It shipped so broken that you needed like a 9 disc patch (Not that this is a large patch by todays standards because we are talking 3.5 floppy) but at the time I didn't have internet access, so I had to rely on friends to download them for me. And then the constant upgrading, maybe it has gotten less these days, but then it was literally you needed a new graphics card every 6 months to play anything recent. It got to be too much. My son is becoming a PC gamer, I warned him... but what teen listens to their dad? LOL.

I know I would be totally obsessed with Star Wars The Old Republic on PC, I would probably lose my job and my family if I started playing, but I am to the point now I hate using a mouse and clicking 8000 times to move across the screen.

So I am a permanent console controller guy now, I have the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X... I know flame away.. but a man has got to know his limitations.

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Not much of a gamer anymore too.

GTA is guaranteed fun. Last of Us 2 is only a month away.

I have an XBO but can´t get games anymore. Out of boredom, I launched an AC game today. First time playing. Looks good enough.

Wish I could get CoD MW2019. I usually enjoy the story instead of playing online.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
I have stuck with PC gaming and as I'm sure you have heard it is MUCH better now. The patching thing is the same as consoles - the game just updates itself. No more compatibility issues, and the upgrade cycle honestly is about on the same timeline as consoles. I just got a new rig but that was because I upgraded to a YUUUGE curved monitor and my previous machine chugged trying to pump out 3440x1440 graphics.

And although I love controllers for driving and Tomb Raider/Fallen Jedi type games when I really have to shoot, it is the mouse for me. Both GTA V and Red Dead 2 allow you walk/drive/ride all day with the controller but when you get in a shootout you can grab the mouse and be instantly precise. Heck, Saint's Row IV did this - that is another great game BTW.

To each his own, and I hope you find something you enjoy and report back!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post