SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Drove a MB CL 63 AMG Today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drove a MB CL 63 AMG Today Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
I got to drive a friend's AMG about 65 miles and back today for service. It is a jet black coupe. I should pay him for letting me drive the car. The exhaust is so great sounding, I had the window part way down on a cold day. When you go around a corner the seat bolsters inflate. The power is unreal, I think it is approx 500hp with a twin turbo V8. I just set the cruise and stayed away from the accelerator, most of the time. The car people were eyeing it when I went by.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Those V8s by Merc sound amazing. I came within inches of buying one as the store manager of a local dealer fired one up for me inside the showroom - instant wood.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The ~450hp in my grandmother's '14 S550 is no slouch either. Hers has the same/similar seats with the dynamic bolsters.
Amazing that it's whisper quiet at 100mph.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:Those V8s by Merc sound amazing.

I had a neighbor who called my black CLK "the Batmobile." I backed it into my garage, which was on a lightly sloped driveway. When I was exiting, he loved hearing the rumble of the V8.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I used to take trips with the in-laws in their S-class and would drive it fairly often. Best times was up in the N. Ga. mountains. Amazing how a big car can handle well in those tight turns... they really give the inflatable seat bolsters a serious workout. Alas, we have M classes (GLE) now. Not as much fun.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ Took my grandmother's prior '07 S550 through some twisties in Tehachapi, CA. Ton (2.5 to be exact) of fun for a ~5k lb car.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
MB V8s sound amazing

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
I've got an '09 CLK 550 that I love, but those AMG motors are just on another level. Snarling, barking beasts. I keep telling myself that my next car will be an AMG.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
A picture of the thing. I call it a half-assed AMG. It's got the regular MB 5.5L V-8 in it, but they put on some AMG cosmetic stuff like wheels and dual exhaust tips, etc. Still, when you stand on that throttle with the top down the noise is intoxicating.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
nice ride furlough. those V8 SL's and CLK's are also a ton of car for the money.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of a friend of mine has a CL 63 that is over 1100 hp and runs in the 9's in the 1/4 mile on street tires. It is amazingly fast and he has over 170k miles on it and has never had the motor apart and it runs great. The 6.3 liter motor is very impressive.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
You're not talking about Capt Lee are you Jimmy?

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
We test drove a C63, but couldn't get around the rear wheel drive only thing. We ended up buying a C43 AMG all wheel drive. Even with the Brabus B30-410 upgrade and the Brixton Wheels we still came in at just under 100K after tax etc. Plus the wife doesn't need more than 410 HP to go to Safeway. I do get that tingling feeling when I see a 63 roll by. Love the car though! Here she is.

Posts: 203 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
You're not talking about Capt Lee are you Jimmy?

No. LOL. Capt. Lee had a SL55 convertible last time I ran into him. This guys name is Barry with the CL63.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I test drove a brand new GLE AMG 63s about a month ago and the sound from those 577 horses made me tingle! I opened it up a bit on a parkway and the exhaust sound upon downshifting when I came upon traffic was fantastic. Ultimately though, my wife and I decided to go more practical this time and have ordered a new G550. The sound isn't quite as good but the 4.0 liter biturbo V8 coming from those side pipes is definitely not bad either. We should be able to pick it up in October.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Awesome cars. I would probably be very interested in one if I wasn't dead set on a manual transmission. Not many left in that class with a clutch pedal other than the BMW M3, which is what I went with.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobC2:
Awesome cars. I would probably be very interested in one if I wasn't dead set on a manual transmission. Not many left in that class with a clutch pedal other than the BMW M3, which is what I went with.

Sweet M3! Mine was a 2015 in the same color. Yours makes me miss mine a bit, but I've decided to go with something more practical this time so that I can go a little crazy in a few years. Judging by the wheels, it looks like yours has the competition package, does it? They really are awesome cars!

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:

Sweet M3! Mine was a 2015 in the same color. Yours makes me miss mine a bit, but I've decided to go with something more practical this time so that I can go a little crazy in a few years. Judging by the wheels, it looks like yours has the competition package, does it? They really are awesome cars!

Thanks! Haha, yeah it's a 2017 with competition package. This was actually purchased to be a more practical car for kids after having a Vette and then a modded Z4 that mostly sat in the garage. Well, that was the story I told my wife anyway. :-)

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Ha, the only thing you can do with that AMG here in AZ is get an expensive, possibly felony, ticket. Give me this, instead:

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Ha, the only thing you can do with that AMG here in AZ is get an expensive, possibly felony, ticket. Give me this, instead:

Mine is on order. Wink Cool Even though I didn't go the AMG G63 route, the regular 550 is no slouch. It still does 0-60 in 5.8 seconds and has to be electronically limited to 130. It's definitely got some zip.