SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Inaugural "National Cinema Day" September 3, 2022
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inaugural "National Cinema Day" September 3, 2022 Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
$3 for movie tickets in most theaters across the country on this day:

quote:
Moviegoers across the country will have the chance to see a film for $3 at their local theater next weekend in an inaugural event dubbed “National Cinema Day” as the industry attempts to climb back to its pre-pandemic success.

No matter the time of day or the film format, on Sept. 3 people will pay just $3 (not including taxes or fees) to see a movie on the silver screen. That is according to an announcement Sunday from the Cinema Foundation, a nonprofit arm of the National Association of Theatre Owners.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...national-cinema-day/

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It sure would be nice if the films were flowing. Decent films are few and far between right now.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12631 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Top Gun: Maverick is still showing near me. Would be good to catch it before it disappears from theaters, altogether.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Re-posting after forum server recovery.

Bump for anyone looking for a deal on Labor Day weekend plans, or for those looking to get out of the heat for a couple hours.

quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
It sure would be nice if the films were flowing. Decent films are few and far between right now.

Most of the Summer blockbusters have already been released, although a few are still being played on a reduced schedule, and the end of Summer is usually a bad time to catch good flicks. I would still like to see "Where the Crawdads Sing" (based on the book).

If nothing else, National Cinema Day falling during this slow time for good movies would be a great time for these theaters to re-run the classics that deserve to be seen and heard on the Big Screen.

Our local theater is currently running the original 1975 Jaws in XD, but if we don't catch that one tomorrow we'll probably just watch TGM for a third time, although it's no longer being played in XD, and I'm not sure if it will 'lose some of it's shine' in a regular theater.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

Most of the Summer blockbusters have already been released, although a few are still being played on a reduced schedule, and the end of Summer is usually a bad time to catch good flicks. I would still like to see "Where the Crawdads Sing" (based on the book).

Not my point. I was talking about films releasing, for the entire year, or the last 12 months. It’s slow as shit. Quality films are almost nonexistent. The Covid film drought really needs to end.

Another problem is all the streaming garbage. Episodic bullshit has stolen the money/budget for what would have been films in the past. The 4k blu ray releases are down to a baby’s crawl. Meanwhile, there is a new series on 25 different streaming platforms. It’s nauseating. Can someone start making decent films again?

As far as the cineplex, meh. I built my own HT to get away from the smartphone interruptions and general narcissism. I don’t miss the big screen as I have a Dolby Cinema. A solid panel that does blacks well, 4k, Dolby Vision, sized to your seating distance or MLP, well I will never want for the cineplex ever again. Just wish there were new discs coming out, new films to watch, and I don’t mean Disney crap. I rent 4k blu rays for about $3 so this is even less attractive. Got Heat on 4k for viewing tonight.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12631 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post