SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    HBO Jump In Prices
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HBO Jump In Prices Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
Went to watch something last night on HBO streaming.

Couldn't figure out what was going on. Why was it asking which package I want?

Oh.

Old package - $9.99 without ads.

New packages include - $9.99 WITH ads or, $15.99 without ads (same as previous "plan")

Looked and determined my monthly renewal ended on 14 Feb. No auto renewal this month, only new plans options.

Decided the 62% jump in cost isn't worth the value of letting it go and waiting a few months to a year and then only having it for two months (if we miss it) to catch up with shows.

Great job HBO, instead of getting $120 from me annually for occasional watching, you will now get $30 for two months of binge watching your streaming channel.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... Just tried firing-up HBO Max. "Can't connect to HBO Max. We're having trouble connecting to the HBO Max service. Please check your Internet connection or try again later. [RETRY]"

I can guarantee there's nothing wrong with our Internet connection.

N.B.: We have (had?) HBO Max. We were already paying $16/mo.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
When everyone started leaping to streaming and canceling satellite and cable services I said it would only be a matter of time before streaming services, with their great deals, increase their rates. Expect more of this from competitors.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12640 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Do you have ATT cellular service? I thought HBOmax was free w/ ATT cell service....?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
No. Cable internet and Sprint.

Wife looked at historical actuals, been paying $9.99 for a long time (HBO Max).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Do you have ATT cellular service? I thought HBOmax was free w/ ATT cell service....?

We've got ATT, and have been on the same plan for >10 years, never heard of this. Will have to investigate.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
We have it free via ATT interwebs at home

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

We've got ATT, and have been on the same plan for >10 years, never heard of this. Will have to investigate.

Yes, it is included.
Call ATT and ask them to send you the HBO activation link.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I've never paid that little for HBO. My guess is you had some sweetheart deal from long ago and it finally ran out. It has been $15 since I got it about 14 years ago.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10488 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, if you have a certain level AT&T unlimited cell plan, you get free HBO Max. However, I thought they may have stopped it for new customers. Also, I’m wondering how long the freebie will last. When they started doing it, AT&T owned HBO. But, I think in the last year or so, HBO got sold to Discovery, so there isn’t a business link between HBO and AT&T any more.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Try this link if you have an ATT mobile account.

https://www.att.com/support/ar...e/wireless/KM1261921

quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I've never paid that little for HBO. My guess is you had some sweetheart deal from long ago and it finally ran out. It has been $15 since I got it about 14 years ago.

Has HBO been available as Streaming for 14 years??

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
This is weird: HBO Max comes up fine on the family room Apple TV, but, not the computer room ATV.

Force-quit the app. Nope. Rebooted the ATV. Nope.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Try this link if you have an ATT mobile account.

https://www.att.com/support/ar...e/wireless/KM1261921

quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

Has HBO been available as Streaming for 14 years??

HBOGo came out in 2010. (Not a stand-alone streaming service but as a corollary to a HBO cable subscription.)

My point, though, was that the add-on for HBO to my cable subscription back in 2009 was $15/month.

I still buy my HBO through Xfinity. Perhaps there was a time where a streaming-only subscription for $10 existed...

Posts: 10488 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
It’s HBO Max and we got the subscription just prior to the final, and easily most disappointing, season of Game of Thrones came out.

Came with, as i recall, Turner Classics, and a few others (we only watched those classics if not HBO).

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure don't pay anything extra for HBOMAX and it is part of the Comcast package (we do pay Comcast for HBO) and I only use HBOMAX when there is a timing conflict with something else.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Pretty sure don't pay anything extra for HBOMAX and it is part of the Comcast package (we do pay Comcast for HBO) and I only use HBOMAX when there is a timing conflict with something else.

Correct... if you have an HBO subscription through cable or Prime then you automatically get HBO Max.

But unlike you, I don't ever watch anything on the actual HBO channel on the cable box.

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I thought they may have stopped it for new customers. Also, I’m wondering how long the freebie will last. When they started doing it, AT&T owned HBO. But, I think in the last year or so, HBO got sold to Discovery, so there isn’t a business link between HBO and AT&T any more.

AT&T is owned by Warner Media. which also owns HBO. Warner Media merged with Discovery.

Free HBO Max is provided to AT&T customers who subscribe to a certain level of servive

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"TV" as it is now, with all the streaming services has become so fractured, that I think much of it is going to wither on the vine and die. People moved away from Cable, now all these services can add up to much much more than your cable bill did. (my cable internet alone, no TV channels or anything else, is over $90 a month)

Just bought a new computer monitor and it's a Smart Monitor, my first smart... thing. I can't stop laughing at it all, or get Mandy Patinkin out of my head. All these "Free" movies and channels. "Free with subscription". You mean a subscription I have to pay for.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Just cancelled HBO Max.

Went to change the CC info. Long story short: After screwing-around for 2 to 2½ hours I'd finally had enough of HBO Max' brain-dead software, cancelled it, and removed their app from everything.