New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apocalypse Now Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
This movie is available on Netflix. I distinctly remember that I saw the movie in the theater by myself. I’ve never really solidified my view of this movie. I’ve seen it a few times and it seems like every time I do my take on it is different.

I haven’t decided if I’m going to watch the movie, yet again. I’m about 30 minutes into it.

Apocalypse Now. The Doors, The End

Posts: 13274 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
This movie is available on Netflix. I distinctly remember that I saw the movie in the theater by myself. I’ve never really solidified my view of this movie. I’ve seen it a few times and it seems like every time I do my take on it is different.

I haven’t decided if I’m going to watch the movie, yet again. I’m about 30 minutes into it.

Apocalypse Now. The Doors.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e5L617dEXlE" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

One of my favorite movies. Somewhat over the top, but yeah...Martin Sheen, and an all star cast makes it a great watch.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I watched about an hour and half of Redux last week. Will finish it soon.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10490 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I first saw this in the wardroom onboard a Navy ship. Eerily quiet. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite movies.
A complex movie.

PC

Posts: 1340 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently forced myself to watch Apocalypse Now Redux on Netflix. I didn't like it any better than the first viewing around 40 years ago. Watching Captain Willard carry his M16 one handed with his index finger all the way through the trigger guard to the last knuckle was a hilarious demonstration of how out of touch the production was with real world gun handling. Frankly, I walked out of the theater about two thirds of the way into the original. I think the movie is one of the worst about the Vietnam war.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Saigon... Shit.

Posts: 20111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I wanted a mission. Any mission. And for my sins, they gave me one.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I think the key to Apocalypse Now is watching his documentary about it. Then when you watch the movie you can sort of appreciate it more for what it could have been / should have been, instead of the sort of mess it is.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I've tried to watch that movie twice now in the past 10 years or so and have fallen asleep both times.

Posts: 11169 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Never get out of the boat!"

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8351 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ohioup:
Watching Captain Willard carry his M16 one handed with his index finger all the way through the trigger guard to the last knuckle was a hilarious demonstration of how out of touch the production was with real world gun handling.

Meh.

I think it was representative of gun handling in general during that period.

If you watch documentaries from that era, the gun handling is really no better on a whole. There were few ghetto gunfighters in that time period that kept their finger straight and selector on safe as a religion. Some who were there will surely dispute this, but far and away the documentaries tell another story.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Skip the long cut of the movie. The extra stuff was cut for a reason.

It is an excellent movie, and maybe even a great one. At the same time, it has some flaws so it isn't a perfect movie. The movie is set in war, but it is more than a war film, as it is about human nature and conflict.

Find a version made from a restored print, as some of the digital versions were made from bad or old prints, and looked terrible. When I saw a DVD made from a restored version I realized there was stuff I never saw in the movie, at least not since it came out.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have yet to decide whether or not I liked that movie.

Posts: 6624 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
I have yet to decide whether or not I liked that movie.

I went and watched a late evening screening with a couple friends. I won't say we were freaked-out by it, per se, but it definitely put us in a strange state of mind. Then we walked out of the theater into a nearly empty mall parking lot - beset by fog. It was eerie. Very eerie.

Haven't been interested in seeing it again, since.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I saw it was up on Netflix and couldn’t decide if I wanted to try sitting through it again. I’ve watched it twice and didn’t really enjoy either viewing.

Yeah, I think I’m going to pass.

Posts: 17151 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen Apocalypse Now probably five times. One of those times was Redux. Redux, in my opinion, sucks; jhe888 is right about that. I like the movie a lot, and will always hold it in high regard. The book that inspired it is awesome too, and is a short read.

If someone's negative opinion of the film is based on a viewing of the extended version, they'd do well to watch the proper cut.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
There is a lot to the understanding of such films.

First, human nature aspect, all of us get it, but some have spent more time in life contemplating themselves and others.

Second, the part about "war movies" in general, the good, the bad, the perspective of "for what good is the loss?", being that people are lost, or forever changed, mostly for worse, and few for better, the small and few moments of "redemption", (pearls of great price) as in "Saving Private Ryan". And the perspectives of those who have seen it, and those who have not, and even then the impact is varied for both groups, and so much more.

Then the period of AN when it was filmed, at a time where the world, especially America had such a pivotal point of breaking away from many rigid ideals, and social restraints (arguably good or bad), resulting in movies that pushed beyond many things that people were not accostmed to, and the latitude and depth writers, directors and actors went to express many new things, and things taboo.

Many that find themselves in uncomfortable moments in the film, (and not for the sake of gratuitously and unnecessary shock value) should appreciate and be grateful to those involved.

Such art permits us to glimpse, feel and begin to understand and desire to know more about things we have not experienced.

I have found over the years, watching movies and some TV shows again and again, how my understanding and perspective on many things changes, and I believe, are refined for the better.

In many cases, finding those I did not like, understand or care for, become treasured, and some I thought were excellent in the day, have become worn and tired and simply "milquetoast".

But, I can spend hours studying a rock.
I'm going all the way.

Where the hell is the boat?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43901 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I recently watched it again after not seeing it for decades. I appreciated the film. I bought it on AppleTV and I believe it's the extended cut. There was a scene I didn't remember seeing before which was the team running into a compound run by a french family and being hosted for dinner. If this was the extended cut, I enjoyed it.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5404 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Yup...that's the "REDUX" version.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post