SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Anyone besides me miss GOT?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone besides me miss GOT? Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted
I don't drink anymore (Health) but doc said it was okay to have a glass of wine every now and again. Stressed "a glass" and I did have occasion just last week at my daughters BD dinner since there was a bottle on the table. It made me think of GOT and the very colorful character Peter Dinklage played who drank wine day and night, yet was one of the most articulate and intelligent characters in the series.

I miss Sundays when GOT was playing.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Didn't para say he never wanted to hear about it, again? https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/3390086654/p/1

Not to mention, you could have just bumped the thread for the final season to post your thoughts.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I miss the anticipation amd the show being awesome

The last season just makes it worse

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
If my memory is correct, Para said he didn’t want to hear about it in non-related threads like the person that just has to say “Winter is coming” every time they think it’s clever. M

Anyway, I’m on episode 2 of season 8 so no, not missing it yet. Wink

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Didn't para say he never wanted to hear about it, again? https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/3390086654/p/1

Not to mention, you could have just bumped the thread for the final season to post your thoughts.

Sorry if I offended anyone. This popped into my head driven by the circumstances I cited and thought I'd share because I really liked Dinklage's character and how well he played it. I know not everyone liked GOT and I'll agree it got a bit silly towards the end. Just a TV series with no life or death implications or deep social or moral meanings. I'll leave it at that and close the book on it.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I do miss the show and am considering rewatching at least the big battle episodes before probably canceling HBO Go. It was a hell of a ride, despite the mostly disappointing ending.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yes when it was good, it was top notch entertainment.

I don't even mind the ending itself, what happened wasn't so bad, it was just the sudden leap to get there with no explanation. Really needed another season to flesh out

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

My main objection is people shoe-horning this stuff into threads unrelated to the TV show. If you guys want to discuss it in this thread, that's fine, because that means that anyone who wishes to avoid it can refrain from opening this thread.
Just as long as someone doesn't stretch to make some reference to this TV show in some other thread which is about some other subject.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107575 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I think I mentioned this in the other GOT thread, but...

We don't have subscription TV or a streaming subscription to HBO. The only GOT episode, or episodes we saw were from a DVD or BD rental. We've read the books. (Until they, too, went off the rails and became uninteresting.) We did not find the series particularly interesting from what we saw.

So: No, not missing it in the least.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed the show, sure it went a bit off rails toward the end, but that's no different than other popular series endings such as The Sopranos, SOA, et al. I think sometimes the writers get caught between writing an acceptable ending and the budget/studios directives.

About the only series that ended well IMO was Justified....

Oh yeah I don't really miss GOT, but not because the writing slipped or the story line went sideways, or any of the other negative reasons presented, just that its time for something new,

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I were just having this very discussion the other day. It seems like, at least to my wife and I, that we have reached a point where there really is not a tv series like GOT or movie collection like Harry Potter or Lord of The Rings that is currently being done or coming down the pike.

All the ones we had been interested in are now done and nothing coming has really excited us beyond a few one off movies from a past collection like Joker and Black Widow but no epic collection spanning multiple movies or a tv series coming that we see.

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Don’t miss it one bit. They ruined it like Disney ruined Star Wars.

I mean Hollyweird throws gas on any fire that is working.

Burnout list:
Underoo wearing SuperHo’s. At this rate every comic ever written will have a film. Where is the original scripts and characters?

Zombies, werewolves, vampires. How many films have covered these the last 5-20 years?

Sorcerers, wizards, magic, dragons, etc? Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, GOT.

Disney with Star Wars. Scheduled 2-3 time a year until it tanked.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12627 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Haven't watched it yet, no HBO. I will watch when it's available elsewhere

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
It was an entertaining story but the world in which it took place was the real star to me. The story fizzled out. BAD. But the universe they imagined is still one of the best in recent television.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Someone should let NavyGuy know that it's OK to come back to his own thread.

Posts: 107575 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
It was an entertaining story but the world in which it took place was the real star to me. The story fizzled out. BAD. But the universe they imagined is still one of the best in recent television.

So what season does it turn to shit?

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

IMHO - the last few episodes only because there should have been about two or three times as many [episodes] to tell the whole story in detail.

BTW - the series can be streamed from HBO Now

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I thoroughly enjoyed it and believe it to be one of the best produced shows ever made for the small screen. That said, the way they screwed th epooch for Season 8 left me bitter. I don't miss the show that was....I miss the final season that could have been.

But really, I haven't thought about it much since it ended. It was great. It's over. Moving on.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

IMHO - the last few episodes only because there should have been about two or three times as many [episodes] to tell the whole story in detail.

Bingo. They tried to cram into the last few episodes what they should have tried to do over a full season or two.

(Not that I think GOT should have been 10 seasons, but rather they should have started work on the resolution of those plotlines earlier in its run, to give enough time to do them justice, rather than having to barrel through it in a headlong rush to get it all wrapped up in time.)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Nailed it.

spoilers below
I think they jumped the shark at the Battle of Winterfell. Too many main characters survived stupid odds and they should have had the dead army just roll over them like flood water.
From that episode until the end was not of the same caliber as the rest of the series.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post