SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Michael Mann
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Michael Mann Login/Join 
posted
As a Michael Mann fan, I thought this was a neat video...

My wife and I watched The Insider a few weeks ago. The third time for me; second for her. The last shot in both that movie, and this video prompted my wife to say "that's such a Michael Mann shot". She's not a movie enthusiast. I thought it was telling of a Director having a distinct style.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Sad to say I only recognized a handful of those shots.

Last of the Mohicans
Heat
Collateral
Ali (never see it, but what else could it be)
Public Enemies

Posts: 11186 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a couple from Thief, Ferrari, Blackhat, I think there's one from Manhunter, and a good many from Miami Vice.

Miami Vice is, IMO, the most Michael Mann Michael Mann movie, when it comes to the style aspects they're highlighting in this video. That movie makes every effort to be dramatic as often as it can. Heat is the crime drama that takes it self (perfectly) seriously. Miami Vice is the crime drama that doesn't take itself seriously, and is therefore a perfect platform for as many Mann trademarks as he could muster. I love Miami Vice.

One shot they would have done well to include was the driving range from The Insider.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always enjoyed Mann's use of perspective and color. Allowing natural light to come through on the screen or, inserting a filter to set the mood. Most producers/camera directors seem to film their subject strictly through the lens, Mann is the opposite he's pretty liberal in using wide angle shots showing either a stark background or, a subject as a small portion of a much larger setting.

Posts: 14796 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I am old enough to have seen Miami Vice when it was new. IMHO, scenes like the one below elevated the genre. One of my favorite Michael Mann films is Last of the Mohicans. The action, music, scenery and script came together to form some powerful scenes.

In the air tonight

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 726 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mann never did direct an episode of Miami Vice. He was an executive producer of the show, and wrote one episode, but never did direct. When I refer to his Miami Vice, I mean the 2006 movie.

That particular scene is very Mann-ish though.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:

One shot they would have done well to include was the driving range from The Insider.

The shot of the coyote in downtown LA from Collateral is another.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8774 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Collateral

Worth another watch, but I guess I ought to see others too.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38857 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post