SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Question for those shelling out for either cable or satellite tv
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for those shelling out for either cable or satellite tv Login/Join 
posted
If I hit the Powerball lottery and money is pretty much not a concern,

Do the cable and satellite companies show you movies in their entirety and commercial free ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
If I hit the Powerball lottery and money is pretty much not a concern,

Do the cable and satellite companies show you movies in their entirety and commercial free ?

It all depends on the channel. Cable and satellite only provide different channels to your TV. They don’t control the content of those channels.

Posts: 3340 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it better then to go through the www to view movies and tv series in their entirety and commercial free ?

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Is it better then to go through the www to view movies and tv series in their entirety and commercial free ?

What’s your definition of “better”? If you want commercial free, you’ll be paying for a streaming service, or paying to watch the individual movie or show. Plus, some movies and shows are only on one streaming service, but not others, so you may end up needing to subscribe to multiple services. Most of the “free” streaming services like Pluto TV or Tubi have commercials.

Posts: 3340 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Yes they show movies commercial free, unedited. But you have to pay for HBO, Showtime, Starz, MGM, etc. In other words you pay extra for “movie channels”. That’s what they are called but each “movie” channel is like everything else these days, making their own “series” as well.

Films hit the theater, then 90 days later disc (1080p blu ray, 4k blu ray). Some will hit streaming services in 30 days after release at the theater if it bombed. Others will hit streaming services 2 weeks or so before they hit the discs. Usually 9-12 months after theater, they hit the movie channels.

But you don’t need movie channels via cable. You can subscribe to their apps or streaming service. For 20+ years I had Satellite (Dish) to get all the movie channels. I don’t watch and haven’t watched commercial programming since the 90’s. But Dish raised their price on basic cable. And the basic cable programming package that they require you to purchase, well I never watched any of that crap. Those are commercial cable channels I have zero interest in. I wanted a movie package that just had all the movie channels + locals and they never offered it. So when they bumped the basic cable programming cost up, making my bill hit $100+, I said fuck you.

Currently have Max (HBO’s streaming app, and I get it for free because of ATT fiber), Showtime (purchased as a bundle with Paramount for $12.99 a month), Starz (I think it’s like $40 for 6 months), and MGM for like $5 a month. I just added Netflix 4k streaming and I’m still under $50 a month.

When cable or satellite offers a la carte, letting you choose what you want and discard what you don’t, I’m game to go back. But they never will. My $.02, get a 4k Apple TV, and try whatever you want out. Most of the streaming services have free trials. Works great if you have good internet at home.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for those choosing to answer my questions.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Mostly yes but not all channels.

Posts: 22933 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
we bought new smart TV's (one upstairs and one downstairs) last year and then cut the cable a few months ago,
still have comcast, but internet only, and we are saving about $200 a month ( had HD, HBO, Showtime etc)

like another member mentioned, if they allowed us to pick and choose which channels we wanted and pay for the seperately, then we may go back,

meanwhile both TV's have wifi,
and come to find out, when we turned in the cable box/DVR, they gave e a small flex device, which allows us to access 'free' (free as in I am still paying for internet access) channeel,
kinda like a roku,

and , Samsung has Samsung TV, which has about 1500 channels, with a variety of stuff just like we had when we were actually paying extra for the cable hookup,

and yes, most have commercials, including the Pluto TV app, which we enjoy a bit,

we also use Netflix and Amazon Prime, and thru a friend have access to Disney,
and a trial peroid for Apple TV since the wife has an iphone,

we are debating on adding some other streaming apps, (pay per month) but have not decided it we want to or not,

for us, the cost of cable was just too damn high, and the calls and negoiate a better deal was too much a PITA,, when we were only watching maybe 15 channels, and not every day,

I do miss the movie channels, (and may get one back via streaming) but at the same time I was watching parts of the same movie 10 times a week sometimes,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post