SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Automat (Documentary) will be on TCM 7/14/2024
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Automat (Documentary) will be on TCM 7/14/2024 Login/Join 
Technically Adaptive
posted
This first aired in 2021, 1hr 45min. Will be on TCM 8:15AM Eastern July 14th. I don't do streaming or Apple TV, It may be available elsewhere. I have an interest in how companies change with the times.
For the old people in here that remember glass ashtrays at all the tables at Burger King and sitting pretty much anywhere, especially next to strangers at booths or tables, it should keep your attention.

It does mention Starbucks often, almost too much, but still worth watching.
Starbucks modeled their business plan from a company that could not keep up with the times or the quality of the customer, allowing anyone to stay whether they bought anything, and eventually failed, seems odd, but who knows what they are thinking.
There are several other reasons the Automat closed, a business model that could not change and still profit. Things were different back then, reminds me of the good times and people that actually got along with each other.

Posts: 1363 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I have many fond memories of going to Horn and Hardart's Automat's as a kid when my family traveled to New York City for the day. Walking along the wall, you were confronted by a dizzying array of food choices which were contained behind sliding glass doors.

Another interesting eatery was Schrafft's, also in New York City and which probably disappeared around the same time as the Automat's for similar reasons. While not having a unique hook like the vending machine wall, they had really good ice cream which hit the spot after having walked around the World's Fair in 1964 for many hours.

Like the Automat, Schrafft's just seemed to have run its course. As I recall, they were brought under new management a time or two as attempts were made to save the brand, but ultimately, they were unsuccessful.

I've seen the documentary and it does a really good job of keeping history alive.

Posts: 7384 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads-up, just watched it. My only experience at an Automat was at age nine in 1964 when we were also in NYC for the World's Fair. I was curious if this documentary could fill 1:45, but it was quite interesting throughout, reflected an entirely different way of life.

I do have to admit that Jackie Vernon's bit about Sig Sakowitz's tragic death is the first thing I think of when the Automat is mentioned Smile

Posts: 781 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post