SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Calvin Coolidge book recommendation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calvin Coolidge book recommendation Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted
I'm looking for a good book on Calvin Coolidge. I feel more comfortable asking here than relying on a Google search.

Any recommendations?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I haven't read this book yet so I can't recommend it from personal experience...I hope to eventually carve out the time to read it.

I have heard several interviews on conservative talk radio with the author Amity Shlaes that relayed various stories and info about Coolidge from her book and research and they were interesting enough to make me want to read this.

Coolidge

I've also heard her interviews on her book The Forgotten Man about the Great Depression and that sounds interesting as well.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
That one looks very good. Thank you.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Whichever Coolidge book you decide to read let us know what you think.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I ordered your recommendation, Coolidge, by Amity Shlaes. I tried to have it downloaded right to my Nook, but apparently it can no longer connect to the internet over wifi until I update it which I'll now have to do manually through a computer since wifi doesn't work. Anyway, that's another story.

So i ordered it in paperback and am having it delivered directly to my ship at our next supply delivery. Hopefully I'll have the book by early next week.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Amity Shlaes. I have a copy but have not gotten to it yet. However, I very much liked her previous book 'The Forgotten Man'.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I ordered your recommendation, Coolidge, by Amity Shlaes.

I hope you like it.

Starting from zero - Mr. Coolidge was someone I had essentially no background on - after reading this book, I became a huge fan.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I like the Amity Shlaes book a lot. She's on our side.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a story, probably apocryphal, about the man known as silent Cal. A giddy woman approached him at a party and said, " Mr. President, I bet a friend of mine, I could get you to say at least three words." Coolidge replied ,"You lose."

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Whether it's true or not, I like that story.

The new book arrived. Now I just have to read it. I'm looking forward to it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)