SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Equalizer 2
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Equalizer 2 Login/Join 
posted
Can't find a thread on this. Went to see it this afternoon. Thought it was pretty good for the most part.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw it last weekend and I enjoyed it as well. I liked the first one a bit more, but I couldn't tell you exactly why. It was good enough to me that I will be buying it on disc when it is released.

Posts: 80 | Registered: July 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw it last week. Put me in the group that enjoyed it, but not quite as much as the first one. I'll be getting it on Blu-ray when it comes out, though.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked the first one as well. Denzel Washington is usually good in anything he does. For better or worse, I usually get distracted by the technical stuff, like when McCall busts in on Miles and his friends and later when he's threatening Miles, he's doing it with an uncocked 1911. On further reflection, I decided it's probably a rubber gun with no moving parts unable therefore to be cocked. My wife thinks I should just enjoy the movie.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I liked the first movie. I think they used this sequel as a collection of vignettes. I think it's a cheap version of The Accountant.

I was hoping for a bigger story than skits sewn together.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked the show back in the 80's and re-runs in the early 90's. Stayed up late to watch it as a kid when I should have been sleeping. I've heard in the movie version the character is more MacGyver than Equalizer. I don't really care for that and haven't had any interest in seeing it if they did that bullcrap.

Posts: 253 | Registered: January 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I usually get distracted by the technical stuff

Ha! I got distracted, too, but not by gun stuff.

!!!SPOILERS!!!

McCall's secret room. In an apartment. In Boston. 1) How could he have built it without anyone knowing? 2) The landlord's gonna know something's up. Having lived in Boston that scene really bugged me.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

posted Hide Post
I think it's interesting that the Denzel Washington character uses the same name, McCall, as the TV Equalizer, played by the late Edward Woodward. I used to faithfully watch the TV show, because the premise was cool, plus the main character drove a Jag and carried a Walther PPK/S. In addition, most of the outdoor scenes were fimed in Brooklyn Heights, where my sister lives, so I was familiar with the locale.

Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OpenRoad:
I've heard in the movie version the character is more MacGyver than Equalizer. I don't really care for that and haven't had any interest in seeing it if they did that bullcrap.

Other than both being former intelligence agents, there isn't much similarity between Woodward's and Washington's McCall. Washington's is more of a "wet work" guy, and frankly seems mildly autistic. LOL Yeah, in the first movie he uses some of the tools at hand (pardon the pun) but MacGuyver?? Not even close.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to see it in the theatre this week as I really liked the first one. I must say I was disappointed with this one as it seemed like a bunch of skits stitched together. I was waiting for the main story to start but it felt like it just never came together.

"Momma say's the pistol is the Devil's right hand."

Posts: 694 | Location: Ontario | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of BucFan
posted Hide Post
I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to. I agree with the movie seeming like it was a bunch of skits put together, but wasn't done well.

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40

Posts: 1050 | Location: FL | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Denzel was consistent with his portrayal of the character. I think there was more gunplay in this one, especially by the main character.

I liked the first one better.

I also had a question or too about the plot, but I don't want to spoil it.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kxc223:
I must say I was disappointed with this one as it seemed like a bunch of skits stitched together.

I don't know if I'd go quite that far, but it did seem like the Miles storyline was too involved and took away from the main story. In the first Equalizer, there were other stories going on, i.e. Ralphie, Alina, etc., but, to me at least, they didn't detract from the main storyline.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Wife and I bot enjoyed The Equalizer 2 but agreed we liked the first one better. His interactions with the bad guy Teddy in the first Equalizer was much more entertaining as was the whole story of him working at the Home Dept type store and how he got involved with Teri.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
More gun play, a lot more Filipino Martial Arts (FMA) blade work. I enjoyed it......especially after just attending a two day FMA seminar with Guro Dan Inosanto. Big Grin

Just one question.......POSSIBLE SPOILER AHEAD.........YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!!!!

So he want after the killers of his friend but WHO was the person who put her name on the list to be killed?

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked it. I did not go with the expectation of an artistic experience, just good old ass kicking.

I also watched the original TV series faithfully, but don't try to make comparisons between the two.

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Completely late to this party, as usual.

I recorded it the other day and just finished watching. I liked it.

Really enjoyed watching him get revenge on the dirtbags that used to be his best friends.

I thought the end with with Fatima seeing Miles' painting was cool.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post