Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebel Moon Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted
Very dark creepy edge it it..I would say a mix of hunger games, starship troopers and something else. Who else watched it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhr3MzT6exg

Posts: 7863 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
the main character is also very easy to look at!!

Posts: 7863 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I just watched the trailer. Don’t know what to make of it. Bae Doona is in it. Not sure how she became popular but she is growing on me.

Good? If so, I’ll watch it this weekend. I’ve been on a dry spell. Nothing has been catching my eye. I watched Some like it hot. It was disappointing.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13075 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It was just okay. Watchable, but not exactly "good". Maybe they can pull something better together in Part 2?

The good: A few decent action scenes. Some pretty visuals in a few spots. Some cool aliens ideas and makeup. I liked some of the worldbuilding and aesthetics.

The bad: The story is pretty middling, though you can tell it was clearly based on Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven. The acting ranged from fair to poor, and mostly the latter. Most of the characters were one-dimensional, with the plot in the middle half moving so ridiculously rapidly and introducing so many characters in rapid succession that nobody had time for any character development or backstory (outside of a few wooden monologues).

The ugly: I came to really dislike the overuse of the stupid CGI camera effects. Like repeated use of this odd "fisheye" focus effect with the central 50% of the scene in focus but the outer 50% blurry. And loads of lens flare, almost like Snyder is trying to outflare late 2000s JJ Abrams. Every battle scene is filled with slow motion. All piled on top of Snyder's trademark funky color grading. Each of those effects could be used effectively in a film, but too much simply becomes distracting. (Though you expect nothing less from Zack Snyder... That heavily processed, overcorrected and overly soft/shiny CGI look is his "style". But what was innovative a couple decades ago in something like '300' is now just played out.)

It's almost like Snyder doodled a whole bunch of random cool sci-fi ideas in a notebook, but couldn't really find a way to string them together effectively in a movie script. It felt disjointed and rushed, like he was trying to cram too many unconnected bits in, especially during the middle half. Maybe he could have done better with a TV series?

And you can definitely tell that it started life as a Star Wars script, before being ultimately developed without any SW connection. Easy to see how it could have worked as a darker, grittier SW film/series, ala Andor or Rogue One. Though hopefully with a better final script and acting.

quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
I would say a mix of hunger games, starship troopers and something else.

I get Star Wars mashed with Warhammer 40k and Seven Samurai.

Posts: 33023 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm watching it now it's got a strong Sucker Punch vibe due to the visual effects.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18090 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Supposedly there is a 3hr Director’s Cut that’s more gritty and R-rated on the way, because of course that’s how Zack Snyder works now. Do a mediocre cut of a movie, have all his fans clamor for the better “Snyder cut”, and get to sell the movie twice.

https://www.avclub.com/zack-sn...of-critic-1851104510

Posts: 3407 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Cut rate Star Wars with shitty camera work and horseshit CGI

Posts: 2858 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I made it about an hour.

Posts: 20540 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Seven Samurai + Star Wars + Warhammer 40K

Amended to add Akira, due to the ending score.

It was okay, nothing great.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16227 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Shucks. I may save it for watching while at work I guess. I can look past all kinds of technical issues if the writing is solid, but sounds like it's pretty flimsy. Frown

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9183 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I'm an hour in, about to give up

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8146 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Watched it last night.
Not my normal cup of tea but it's alright.
Next one is not until April 2024. Eek
Will probably continue on.

Posts: 23186 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
From the sounds of it, this could be the remake of Battle Beyond The Stars no one asked for.

Posts: 4423 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
It (tenuously) held my interest long enough to watch the whole thing, but I've been DESPERATE for something new to watch.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15481 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
[Critical Drinker After Hours video]

Looks like the actual CD review just dropped, and he concurs with that other guy.

I think he's just slightly too harsh, since there's at least a few glimmers of decent stuff in the film (like the spider fight, and some of the visuals, and the design of the Empire's equipment/uniforms), but otherwise pretty spot on.

Posts: 33023 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Rogue’s lengthy review is spot on. Not much I can add. Parts of it were great, early on, especially the cantina, then it went off the rails and got a bit silly. I was so excited for a while to get a new sci fi film, and a known director, then over time it just got silly. Mish mash of Star Wars, Avatar, and Buckaroo Banzai. Whole thing just ripped off from other movies. Oh if he can ride this Avatar type bird thing, we’re good. I mean cut/paste from Avatar. Snyder just left out the hair connection to the bird. Wink
The least they could have done, since there was actual cussing and rape references, was to give us a fuck scene with some skin Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12918 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
rape references

There definitely was a strangely rapey portion about a third of the way into the film, which I found to be odd and unnecessary, with three attempted rapes against three different characters in two different locations within about 10 minutes of screen time.

It's as if Snyder decided that was the best and most effective way to quickly denote someone as evil: "Oh, this one's rapey, so he's a Bad Guy." "All these guys too." "Yep, that other guy is as well."

One or the other (barn or cantina) could have been understandable, but having both in such close proximity was odd. Maybe it was some hamfisted attempt at equity? As in: "We showed attempted rape against females, so now we're obligated to include an attempted rape against a male to even things out..."

I think the guy in the initial CD video that DanH posted nailed it: Snyder just doesn't know what he's doing. The best he can do is mimic other movies and other filmmakers, and poorly.

It's getting obliterated by nearly all the reviews, both critic and viewer. I suspect the production company is currently frantically recutting Part 2, and also figuring out how to pump the brakes on all the planned prequel/sequel/spinoff/tie-in/merchandising content in the pipeline.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
It's getting obliterated by nearly all the reviews, both critic and viewer. I suspect the production company is currently frantically recutting Part 2, and also figuring out how to pump the brakes on all the planned prequel/sequel/spinoff/tie-in/merchandising content in the pipeline.

We all know this is an easy fix.

1) Fire Zack Snyder while he's editing Part 2.
2) Hire Joss Wheadon to finish the movies post production.
3) Make a version of Rebel Moon Part 2 that is under 2 hours and release it.
4) Insinuate there's a complete Synder Cut of Part 2.
5) Wait until Netflix needs subscribers.
6) Rehire Zack Snyder to finish the movie and release it.
7) Print money.

It's simple. Not easy, but simple.

Posts: 4423 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

What is sad is the universe, the characters, the story, all of it, could have been amazing. Sci fi might be my favorite genre or tied for the 1st. We’ve needed something new. I was a big fan of the 2nd Riddick film, thought it was amazing and still watch it to this day. Pitch Black was good for a low budget indie type sci fi film but the 2nd one had $ and I thought wow here we go. 3rd comes out and nope. This could have been really good if it was done better.

Yeah you make a good point about the “raping”. I’m laughing thinking of StepBrothers “I’m so not a raper” LOL. Like they had to even it out. Oh see the woman is queen and her man is the lil bitch. I’m all good with a female lead but honestly when it got to the scene with the Draxe sis/bro combo or whatever. And here comes this LBGTQ type character, short hair, looking like a boy, but a woman, and she says something like “someone has to follow you around and keep you alive”, I said, fucking A, knew it was coming. Have to just shove this shit in your face every time man. Fuck!

The pointless slo mos were stupid too. Like in the Cantina where she throws the raper alien fucker onto the table. I said oooh and smashed table, what will they think of next? Then the final act where they take Admiral buck tooth, attach the hoses to him to bring him back to life and such, straight Matrix. So Snyder ripping off Star Wars (new planet and planet and city listed on screen in text for the viewer, the Cantina, on and on), Avatar (Bird thing, making peace with it, and flying it), Matrix with the hoses. And Snyder must be a fig fan of that Jupiter film the Washitski sisters did years ago. This movie reminded of their Jupiter movie. Could have been great but threw in too much bullshit cringe. And the Irish merc, with 6in9 teef, immediately I said he’s going to fuck all y’all over. I was just waiting for it, for a good hour. I’m instantly ready to quit being a criminal and fight for the Justice League. LMAO.

All in it was some new sci fi, with some cool scenes, some cool concepts and a plot that could have been something. But they woked it out like they always do. Just took everything to the max. Lead female character, can’t be white, double down with protecting her man from getting his butthole taken by alien dick. Ironically, he’s white LOL. Throw in the usual woke characters. Make sure it’s super inclusive. Can’t have our main female character be white. The Drax or whatever, they need to be Black! His protector is a trans/lesbian wtf ever bodyguard, thin as a rail with no muscle but yet a bad ass that will continue in part 2, and get a bigger role. Samurai lady has to be Asian, just cuz. Tarak, need to make him look middle eastern or something, can’t look white. It goes on and on. Meanwhile all the baddies are white. Farmer keeping Tarak on a chain, bird on the chain, white. Admiral, white. It’s funny that they think we are so stupid we don’t see through this shit.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12918 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post