Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

16:8 Login/Join 
Picture of FLKev
posted
I was the gym/workout guy for most of my life. When I hit 40 I just stopped and got lazy. I'm 52 now and it's time to get these pre-old guy pounds off and get seriously back into strength and mobility training/exercising. I'm not quite as fat as the #'s show. I still have alot of strength and can still workout with 315lbs on the bench and do 100lb dumbbell presses and benchfly sets. I'm a "GIANT" as my wife and mother say. LoL Wife is 5'2.

I was 6'2 315 3 weeks ago---I've lost 23lbs doing the activities below. I'm at 292lbs now and have a long ways to go to get to 215 where I want to stay and spent most of my life. Below is my aggressive attack plan for getting to the goal as quickly as possible while not losing muscle and gaining flexibility.

(1) I started a 16:8 intermediate fasting regime. This has not been hard at all!! You simply pick and 8hr window of time and only eat during that timeframe. You DO have to be sensible with what you eat and the portion size. NO bread, NO alcohol (especially beer) This will flush your kidneys and reset your system. It has actually felt really good for the past 3 weeks.

(2) I use stretch bands while watching TV to increase flexibility and build strength. I also pair this with kettlebell swings and dips barefoot with high sets of 10 reps each--100 swings is ideal -- 10 sets of 10 swings very short break between sets

(3) I swim laps and do stretches in the pool. I go from the hot tub at 104 degrees straight to the pool which helps with joint pain and inflammation. I stay waist high until my body cools down. The shock treatment is mainly for my waist, hip flexors and legs anyway. I can't shock my heart with that much temp fluctuation at my age. Could easily spike the heart rate and go into arrest if I go from hot to cold that quickly and that often.

Excited and motivated with the success I've had so far. I'm definitely open to sharing and receiving tips from others that are on the journey or considering it.

MY LAST PRACTICE: I lose all the gains by having a shot or two or three of whiskey LoL I earned my whiskey so that isn't gonna stop!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FLKev,

"It's gon' be some slow singing -n- flower bringing............ if my burglar alarm starts ringing"

Posts: 575 | Location: GATORLAND | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, FLKev!

Yes: 16:8 can be very effective for fat loss--providing you do it right.

Usually I do that, but, right now I'm working more on muscle gain than fat loss. I was still realizing fat loss until recently. Now that has stalled. So I'll dial-back the nutrition a bit until I get that back on track.

I'm aiming for no more than 15% body fat. I'm at ±17% now--down from 23% in November.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FLKev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Congratulations, FLKev!

Yes: 16:8 can be very effective for fat loss--providing you do it right.

Usually I do that, but, right now I'm working more on muscle gain than fat loss. I was still realizing fat loss until recently. Now that has stalled. So I'll dial-back the nutrition a bit until I get that back on track.

I'm aiming for no more than 15% body fat. I'm at ±17% now--down from 23% in November.

Those are great #'s. 17% would be huge for me. I want to see what being a lean guy feels like for once. HAHAHA I've always been a big guy. My frame is just too big for me to actually be skinny, but lean I think I may be able to accomplish.

"It's gon' be some slow singing -n- flower bringing............ if my burglar alarm starts ringing"

Posts: 575 | Location: GATORLAND | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Intermittent fasting is a game changer.

I've been doing 16:8 intermittent fasting since the first week of December, and have lost nearly two pants sizes already. (~3+ inches.) I would estimate I've lost ~10% of my body weight, but I don't have a scale; I won't get weighed again until my next annual physical.

No other changes to my activity level, and no other real changes to diet other than cutting back on my beer intake from 1-2 beers every day or two to 1-2 every week or two. But then I was already previously eating relatively low carb and steered clear of processed food when possible, plus I've never been a fan of sugary foods or much of a between-meal snacker.

I have a couple cups of coffee when I get up, but don't eat until lunchtime around noon, followed by dinner around 6:30 or 7:00. After the first few days of it back in December, I don't really get hungry until 11:45ish any more.

The only downside is that buying a whole new wardrobe gets expensive. Big Grin

Posts: 32518 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I have been doing the 16:8 for right at a year now.
I never considered it fasting but just a modified feeding schedule.
I do however, skip the AM meal once a week (Mon) and consider that fasting.
Eating two meals a day with high fat, low carb, mod protein just keeps me satiated and no need to eat more and now don't even snack or have a desire to.

Keep it up, good work.

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Thought the thread title was about video/film aspect ratios Big Grin.

Never heard of this before, but interestingly, I have been doing this for years without realizing there is a name for it. I wake up early and have coffee, most days black. I don't eat anything in the AMs, and I walk after coffee for 40 minutes, then workout in the mid-mornings. Lite lunch at noon, dinner at 6:30-7pm, nothing after dinner.

Several times a year, I'll get breakfast in a restaurant, but in general, food in the mornings is just unappealing.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16708 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FLKev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Intermittent fasting is a game changer.

I've been doing 16:8 intermittent fasting since the first week of December, and have lost nearly two pants sizes already. (~3+ inches.) I would estimate I've lost ~10% of my body weight, but I don't have a scale; I won't get weighed again until my next annual physical.

No other changes to my activity level, and no other real changes to diet other than cutting back on my beer intake from 1-2 beers every day or two to 1-2 every week or two. But then I was already previously eating relatively low carb and steered clear of processed food when possible, plus I've never been a fan of sugary foods or much of a between-meal snacker.

I have a couple cups of coffee when I get up, but don't eat until lunchtime around noon, followed by dinner around 6:30 or 7:00. After the first few days of it back in December, I don't really get hungry until 11:45ish any more.

The only downside is that buying a whole new wardrobe gets expensive. Big Grin

It really is amazing how quickly the weight just falls off!

Picture of FLKev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I have been doing the 16:8 for right at a year now.
I never considered it fasting but just a modified feeding schedule.
I do however, skip the AM meal once a week (Mon) and consider that fasting.
Eating two meals a day with high fat, low carb, mod protein just keeps me satiated and no need to eat more and now don't even snack or have a desire to.

Keep it up, good work.

The team at work order pizza from a spot that makes Chicago deep dish style. Normally I would be at the table with them. I heated my meal up that I had brought in and ate it without even being tempted to eat the pizza. It's funny how when you feel better the smell of what you used to like doesn't smell good anymore. Kinda like quitting smoking and being hyper sensitive to the smell when someone walks in that just smoked.