SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Jewel on Joe Rogan (Spotify)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jewel on Joe Rogan (Spotify) Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted
Joe said this was one of the best podcasts he's had. I have to agree. Over 3 and half hours flew by listening to her origin story. The epitome of what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I certainly don't have much to complain about after listening to her.

Just a sample on YouTube (NSFW-I guess)

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Check her out doing stand up poetry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtJimsMJV3o

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the clip in the OP, too. She's interesting and talented well beyond being attractive. I'd almost rather listen to her talk than sing (which sounds way worse than I mean it). She's definitely cool.

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I listened to most of this podcast on a my drive to Atlanta today, VERY good and very captivating. She's quite the human.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9695 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Check her out doing stand up poetry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtJimsMJV3o

oh my. Oh My! I think I blushed a little at the Love Poem Smile while relishing the view!
I always liked her Karaoke video.
https://youtu.be/rmv1VhrtYRo?t=1

Posts: 7360 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I’ve only watched the OP clip. I’ve got some respect for her now. The only think I had ever seen her do was a surprise karaoke segment at a bar on YT. I’ll watch that whole podcast very soon.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Watched a segment that he'd posted separately. She's had a very interesting path to success and I enjoy her music.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18024 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did she talk about her boat trip with the Federales that turned into a drug bust?

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I DO try to listen to Rogen’s podcasts, with journalism dead, buried, and decomposed, he’s about the only really interesting interviewer out there. It’s hard to find 3 hours to listen to one of his interviews, but I can usually find time to listen to an hour or so of a good one. I had seen the Jewel interview in the show list, but was listening to Shellenberger and Rogen and hadn’t got to it. I’m grateful, SigSentry, that you posted this. Thank you

Posts: 13274 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Watched clip on YT yesterday and can say I am quite impressed with this young lady. Cool

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I DO try to listen to Rogen’s podcasts, with journalism dead, buried, and decomposed, he’s about the only really interesting interviewer out there. It’s hard to find 3 hours to listen to one of his interviews, but I can usually find time to listen to an hour or so of a good one.

Break it up into segments, 1-hour doses works for me.

I can pick apart Rogan for a variety of things but, he beats the hell out of the Kimmel's, Colbert's, Oliver's and Noah's of the world.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I DO try to listen to Rogen’s podcasts, with journalism dead, buried, and decomposed, he’s about the only really interesting interviewer out there. It’s hard to find 3 hours to listen to one of his interviews, but I can usually find time to listen to an hour or so of a good one.

Break it up into segments, 1-hour doses works for me.

I can pick apart Rogan for a variety of things but, he beats the hell out of the Kimmel's, Colbert's, Oliver's and Noah's of the world.

I think that’s good advice. I’ve listened to an hour of this Jewel interview this morning, and it really is incredible. I will FIND time to complete it. Good day to you, Corsair

Posts: 13274 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to see her some years ago. She performed in a large concert hall, which was packed, with young and old from kids to the elderly. An opening act, one-man band performed, quite good. She prefers artists with no recognition, to give them a chance.

When she came on stage, there was no band, no support, She was on a small raised platform with three guitars all acoustic, a stool, a glass of water, and a microphone. She told stories and sang over the next couple of hours and I've only seen an audience so captivated once before. She's a showman, a poet, a musician, and a performer who seemed to connect with the audience in a phenomenal way. I have her books at home, and followed her from early in her career.

Talented lady.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
No too tough to look at either:

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Went looking for the full interview and found I have to have a Spotify account. Mad Roll Eyes
Yeah I know it is free... just don't want yet another "account."

Is there no other way to listen?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Went looking for the full interview and found I have to have a Spotify account. Mad Roll Eyes
Yeah I know it is free... just don't want yet another "account."

Is there no other way to listen?

No.

Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
There is a prank video on the interwebz where they dressed her up with a fake nose appliance, made her look frumpy, and unrecognizable, and then she sang “Jewel” songs at a karaoke bar. Not my type of music, but she is captivating and has a wonderful voice. Very funny video watching this karaoke chick sing exactly like Jewel. Worth a watch if you can find it.

Posts: 869 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Did she talk about her boat trip with the Federales that turned into a drug bust?

What a weird story. If I hadn't gone and found the photo I wouldn't have believed it.

Not sure if it was mentioned in the Rogan interview, but I found this article about it.

https://ew.com/article/2015/02...d-you-were-meant-me/

Posts: 11169 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^Ha, that's a great story. I don't recall that in the podcast. One of the stories for those who don't have the spotify is as a 16-17 year old after the town (Homer) raised $10k to send her to a boarding school in the east, she crossed the campus and was getting suspicious stares and was told to report to the dean immediately. The cause for alarm of course was the bowie type knife hanging on her belt. Eek Big Grin

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:

What a weird story. If I hadn't gone and found the photo I wouldn't have believed it.

Not sure if it was mentioned in the Rogan interview, but I found this article about it.

https://ew.com/article/2015/02...d-you-were-meant-me/

When they got back to shore the Federales told Poltz to take some of the weed. He declined. They insisted. He took a few buds. They insisted he take a brick. He took a brick.

Jewel and Poltz were figuring out which of them should record "You were meant for me". They were having late night burritos in a parking lot in a sketch part of town. They decided to let a hooker at the next table decide. They both sang a bit. The hooker looked at Jewel and said "that white boy can't sing. You take the song. You're gonna be a star." And so it came to be.

Poltz is a good dude and a pretty great musician. Seen him play many times and hung out afterwards. Decades of stories from the road that are exactly what you'd expect.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post