SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Old Guard on Netflix
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Old Guard on Netflix Login/Join 
posted
My better half and I watched it yesterday on a lazy Sunday afternoon. I wasn’t expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. I enjoy Charlize Theron and she didn’t disappoint. I would say it’s worth a watch. It was set up for a sequel which I would watch when it comes out.

Posts: 716 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
It's woke as fuck. I gave it a shot and some of it was ok, but it's so woke it's cringey.

Spoiler: The lone straight white male on the team of heroes is the one who betrays the rest of them. It's Highlander 2020.

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, every white male in the movie was a bad guy or a traitor, women rule, and the homosexual immortals are just the sweetest and most loving killers you'll ever meet. Bad guys can't shoot or fight for shit, but the immortals - even the newest one - pretty much one shot with a pistol everything they aim at.

Another woke SJW piece of gosa from Hollyweird.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
You know, I tried to give it a fair shake. I really did. When it pretty much jumped the rails for me was when the gay Templar and Moor who met during the Crusades get captured. "What, is he your boyfriend or something?" one of the straight while male captors crows. Moor gives a soliloquy about his lover and then they make out. Ok, whatever. But they had to make a point of having all the other straight while male captors in the van immediately pull them apart after a quick shot of one of them wearing a disgusted expression.

It's not enough that they had to have the gay couple. That's whatever. It's not even that they had to have their in-your-face kiss, it's that they had to have all the non-woke white guys react with violent revulsion and physically pull them apart. The movie was stupid, and the messaging was loud and clear. Don't even get me started on the literal translation of Andromache to English as being incredibly on-the-nose for what Theron's character was.

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I made it half way through. It’s awful. I came here to warn people not to waste their time and then saw there was already a thread

Again

Horrible

Theron must need money

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I probably got through 15 minutes of it and turned it off. I checked out this thread wondering if I missed something good, but I guess I didn't.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Meh

I FAR more enjoyed Extraction and 6 Underground. I did like Charlize’s axe.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
We watched it the other night, it was just ok. The newb Marine girl was terrible and unlikable to me.

When I audibly gagged during the gay bromance scenes, the wife scolded me

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I liked it, not much else on anyway.
Whatever PC crap there was I ignore as it is common place now days in film and TV ~ as despicable as it is.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
It's woke as fuck.

Big Grin That's precisely how my husband and I described it.

And that was obviously what the production company was going for:
Still, it wasn’t just the production company’s inclusivity that drew Gina Prince-Bythewood [the director] to making an adaptation of Rucka’s comic. “I love action films. That superhero thing, the good versus evil, I love all that. Wonder Woman really inspired me. I loved the direction they were going. Black Panther changed culture, changed the game. Logan is a beautiful film that I cried in. I wanted my turn,” she says. The other key factor was, of course, the source material itself. “So much of the diversity [in the film] was in the original script. I was so attracted to it: two women at the center and a young Black female hero, the relationship between Nicky and Joe [who are gay], and that Joe, who is Middle Eastern, is a hero, as opposed to being demonized as Middle Eastern people so often are in movies. It’s a very global story and has global characters."

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I did like Charlize’s axe.

The rest of her ain't bad, either.

The only saving grace of the movie.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I liked it. Nowhere near as good as Extraction, but I didn't feel cheated of two hours. I assume there'll be a sequel.

I read the gay romance was included at the insistence of the comic's creator.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
SJW crap.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
I'm getting the impression (not having seen it at all) that if only they showed a select few centimeters of Theron's body...well then they'd really have something huh?

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
I'm getting the impression (not having seen it at all) that if only they showed a select few centimeters of Theron's body...well then they'd really have something huh?

Not really. I heard rumors you can see pics of naked chicks on the internet and therefore....assuming this is true, there is still no need to see this flick.

It really was poorly placed SJW crap crammed down your throat but at least it benefited from bad acting, third rate special effects and a fairly week story. Smile

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I guess I got that one right. My wife and I started Netflix one day and got this trailer. I said "No. This looks like a bunch of bullsh*t to me" and switched away. She was similarly unimpressed.

Good to see I was right.

Posts: 7257 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Theron is so easy on the eyes, whether she's a bleached blond or, a brunette, short or, long hair, good god she's gorgeous and not a bad actor to boot.

Unfortunately this plot is looking like a bunch of 'immortal warriors', righting-wrongs as they live through history?

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched a few minutes of The Old Guard but bailed.
If you want to see Theron make an amazing physical change, check her out in Monster. She did a great job with portraying serial killer Aileen Wuornos.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
No doubt Charlize Theron is a wonderful actress and easily the best part of this movie but the MEH is just so overwhelming on so many fronts IMO that she isn’t enough to save this flick.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Unfortunately this plot is looking like a bunch of 'immortal warriors', righting-wrongs as they live through history?