SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Godfather - coming to theaters in June
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Godfather - coming to theaters in June Login/Join 
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted
Turner Classic Movies and Fathom Events are bringing some classic movies back to the big screen. They call it the Big Screen Classics series .

I recall a recent thread where a good many forum members said they had never seen The Godfather. For anyone who wants to see it and hasn't (or those of us who've never seen it on the big screen), catching it in a theater would be great.

For the 2017, the remaining movies that TCM is releasing are:

The Godfather, June 4 and 7
Some Like It Hot, June 11 and 14
Fast Times at Ridgemont High, July 30 and Aug. 2
Bonnie and Clyde (50th anniv.) Aug. 13 and 16
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Sept. 17 and 20
The Princess Bride (30th anniv), Oct. 15 and 18
Casablanca (75th anniversary), Nov. 12 and 15
Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner? (50th anniv)Dec. 10 and 13

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Sweet! I'm going

Still wish for someone to release the version with all the extra scenes

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I am Enzo!! The baker!!

Yes, as much as I loathe the modern cineplex, I'll have to see this on the big screen.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I saw it in a theater in England. The audience chuckled during the scene where they described hiding the gun behind the "old fashioned" water closet in the bathroom of the restaurant, as many of those type water closets are still in use there.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Our favorite movie of all times, will definitely catch this!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Wonderful!

I think I can make June 7 work. Might take my son (age 14). He will love it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12328 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing it when it was released in a small amount of theaters for the 25th anniversary using honest-to-goodness 35mm film projectors. I don't expect the same this time around, but I will see it, why not.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
"It's a Sicilian message........" Cool

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1903 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I just got reserved seats for the June 7 matinee.
Thanks for the heads up!

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This is going to work out perfectly. I have a friend who's a film buff. His tastes run more towards the eclectic. He's a real artsy-type guy, plays in a band, does his own recording and mixing. It's always interesting to talk film with him because our interests are so different. He's in his thirties. On a hunch, I called him up and asked him if he's ever seen The Godfather and it turns out he has not.
I told him I envy him, because he has the opportunity to see of the the greatest films ever, up on the big screen where it should be seen. So, I'm gonna take him to see it. I really do envy him about this. Like just about everyone here, I first saw this film on TV set. Here's a guy who gets to do it right.

Granted, it's no longer film, it's all digital projection, but, it is a cinematic presentation.

Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I saw the Godfather in the theater with my Italian girl friend (who became my wife) when it came out in 1972.
It was like nothing I had ever seen before. My wife translated the Italian dialogue for me, which added to the experience.
If I wasn't busy, I'd love to see it again on the big screen.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by two-two-niner-romeo:
"It's a Sicilian message........"
"Rossano Brazzi won't do the dishes"

So freaking cool

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
"Luca Brasi Sleeps with the Fishes"

For those that would like a teaser...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7RMKq8RQj4

Posts: 9502 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my version's funnier.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"It's a Victorian message. It means Charlotte Bronte sleeps with some swishes."

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I saw The Godfather this evening in Pittsburgh, PA. It was outstanding on the big screen. Sadly, there were only about 18 folks in the theatre.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw The Godfather today with my son (age 27), my brother, and his son (25). It was of course all of our first time viewing on the big screen. I made the 2 hour drive north to meet those three so we could experience this wonderful film together. However, unlike the experience of the poster above, the theater in Louisville was about 75% full. I was pleasantly surprised at how much more detail both visually and audibly I was able to discern by watching it in a theater setting. The others expressed the same as we discussed the film as we ate dinner (sadly at a Mexican Restaurant and not an Italian one!)after the movie. The experience was well worth my drive!

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Funny how the passage of time changed my perception of the most intense scene.

When I first saw the movie in 72-73, I forget exactly when, Sonny's demise at the toll booth was it.

Today, Clemenza at Paulie's hit, "Leave the gun, take the cannoli" is the one. The definition of business is business.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I attended the afternoon showing yesterday. There were perhaps 25 or so people in the theater.

I had forgotten my earplugs at home, which I now bring with me if ever I'm faced with the seizure-inducing sensory assault known as "Coming Attractions". Thankfully, there were no previews, just Ben 'I got this job because my grandpa was famous' Mankiewicz running his suck.

The cinematographer for The Godfather was Gordon Willis, who was nicknamed by fellow cinematographers as "The Prince of Darkness", because he liked to push the limits of darkly colored and minimally lit sets (Klute, The Parallax View, All the President's Men). The film opens, of course, in Vito Corleone's study, with the undertaker Bonasera emerging from the black frame, saying "I believe in America."
This scene, as projected yesterday, was full of noise; not grain from the film, but rather, digital noise. Instead of the cavernous blacks of Willis' cinematography, there was this dark gray noise. I have no idea if anyone else in the theater paid any attention to this, but it jumped out at me. Again, this presentation was digitally projected, not film, which I regret very much now.
Other scenes in the film which were more brightly lit did accurately reproduce shadows and so forth but from a purists point of view, I am disappointed.

Additionally, the audio is not only stereo, it's mixed as Dolby. This film was released in 1972 with a monaural audio track. As an old audiophile, I did appreciate the nicely calibrated Dolby system in the theater (the tollbooth execution scene is mixed beautifully and leaves an impression- those Thompsons really bark), but it's out of place for this film. I understand why Warner Brothers remixed the audio when they digitally restored this film in 2008, but the audio cues of what goes to left, center, right and rear channels are not those of Coppola or his original sound mixer. They are the work of some Warner Brothers technician a decade ago.
I know, I know, they want to sell DVDs. I understand. Nevertheless...

Speaking of audio- you know, I've always seen this film on the small screen. I used to maintain a very nice home theater setup, but no more. I don't think I've ever heard the audio track of this film on a high quality system. In the hospital scene where Michael realizes his father is alone, there is a bass track, a very intense and foreboding low end, and it really changes this scene for me, this scene I've viewed scores of times. It was very odd to hear this. I was thinking 'That's not right. Is that coming from an adjacent theater?'

Other things I had not noticed before when viewing on the small screen- I never noticed the Oscar sitting on Woltz's nightstand in the horse head scene.
I noticed more oranges. If you are a true fan of this film, you may know that oranges signify death or great misfortune. I noticed oranges in more scenes. Y'know, I should sit down and go through this film and count all the scenes with oranges and who appears in the scenes.
For those of you who aren't aware of this symbolism in the film, what's Vito Corleone doing right before he gets shot?

Lastly, and of no great consequence but it made me chuckle: after Michael shoots Solozzo and McCkuskey, there is a shot of McCluskey (Sterling Hayden) lying on the floor on his back. In between the legs of a chair, you can see his eyes. This guy who has just been shot in the throat and the forehead with a .38 Special is blinking his eyes. Big Grin Ol' Sterling was a cantankerous guy and I guess he got bored laying there on the floor waiting for Willis to get his shot. You really have to look for it, but it's there.

As I said before I took a friend to see it who had never before seen The Godfather so I don't regret going, but being the film snob I am, it could have been better.

My friend did make an interesting observation after the film. He said that he felt like he had already seen parts of the movie, given how this film has become truly a part of pop culture. For instance, the scene of Sonny beating Carlo was parodied in The Simpsons, with Marge opening the whole can of whoopass.

So, there you have it. My preference would have been to view a restored 35mm print with a monaural audio track but that's just not going to happen.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
So it sounds like, you aren't saying this isn't a case of "you can't go home again" but rather they attempted to improve it with newer technology when they should have just left it as it was.

Posts: 9502 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post