SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Classic cocktails anyone?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic cocktails anyone? Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Oddball, that’s what I’m talking about. Proper cocktails. Excellent post. Oh and I have Lilet Blanc, though my issue with any vermouth or wine based spirit is I don’t drink it fast enough. A month cold and that’s beyond its shelf life.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
My wife and I only drink classic cocktails, nothing new or modern. It's to the point if a guy behind the bar refers himself as a "mixologist", I'll walk out. I've had guys like that who mix drinks with basil, thyme, cucumbers, etc. and then make me an awful martini. We make our own cocktails at home have been doing it for almost 4 decades.

Martinis- IMO, martini = gin, not vodka. And yes, dry vermouth is an absolute component, and not just a wisp of it, but at a minimum ratio of 8:1 of gin to vermouth (I like 5:1). Hendricks and Aviation are two excellent gins, with Bombay Sapphire as an everyday bottle. Quady VYA dry vermouth is king, but hard to find in recent years, Dolins is a nice 2nd choice.

Manhattans- I once asked for a manhattan at an L.A. bar and the guy pours bourbon in a ice filled glass, pours it into a lowball glass and drops a bright red cherry into it. I pushed it back to him and ordered a beer. I prefer rye, but bourbon is fine also. But the sweet vermouth, a mandatory ingredient, has to be Carpano Antica, along with a Luxardo cherry. And of course a splash of bitters. Stirred not shaken.

Sidecars- I like Germaine Robin Alambic Brandy, but any good cognac would do. I always use Cointreau and fresh lemon juice, shaken and poured into a cold martini glass. I skip the sugar coating on the rim.

I'll sometimes make a Vesper from the James Bond films, and it is actually an excellent drink. I use 3 parts gin, 1 part vodka, and 1/2 part Cocchi Americano, a substitute for Lillet Blanc. Shaken and poured into a cold martini glass with a lemon twist.

The Cocchi Americano is actually a quinquina (made with quinine) like the original Kina Lillet referenced by Fleming in the Vesper recipe. They stopped making it and now make Lillet Blanc which doesn't have quinine in it, so it is less bitter.

You could also use Lillet Blanc and add a bit of Angostura bitters to taste to add the bitterness back in.

That said, Bond drank as much or more bourbon than he did martinis in the books.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t drink it fast enough. A month cold and that’s beyond its shelf life.

I store Vermouth in the fridge, haven't had that problem

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
quote:
I don’t drink it fast enough. A month cold and that’s beyond its shelf life.

I store Vermouth in the fridge, haven't had that problem

I also refrigerate it. I don’t know that it’s gone bad but I’ve heard about a month is all it will last. It can be months before I have a need for it.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post