SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Gladiator II: A Sequel We Didn't Ask For....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gladiator II: A Sequel We Didn't Ask For.... Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted

Best YouTube comment so far:

"If you find yourself alone watching this film, do not be troubled! For you are in a cinema, and Hollywood is already DEAD!!!"

Posts: 4423 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I didn't ask for it, but I'm sure I will enjoy it.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9415 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I couldn't watch anymore, once that bullshit music started. WTF. How is that appropriate music for this trailer?

Posts: 2457 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I like Pedro Pascal and Denzel. I'll give it a shot.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17592 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
I couldn't watch anymore, once that bullshit music started. WTF. How is that appropriate music for this trailer?

Rap music? In Rome? Because Denzel? Or, how do they explain this?

Posts: 7485 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
They are just out of original ideas and original content, altogether. Remakes, and rehashes. They have nothing else.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12918 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Compared to most of the crap movies coming out, it actually looks pretty good.

十人十色

Posts: 2109 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I’m a sucker for good photography and this looks promising.
At first i though it was a Caligula sequel but still waiting for the Penthouse Pets to show up…

Scott’s latest movies have been forgettable and forgotten IMO, but the old man still has it.
Fingers crossed for this one.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12258 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I'm down like Charlie Brown

Posts: 5528 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
Compared to most of the crap movies coming out, it actually looks pretty good.

Agreed.

Posts: 33023 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quickly reviewing the plot...this takes place 20-years after the original movie, it's an attempt at replaying the original story. Lucius (Lucilla's son who takes a liking to Maximus) is captured during wars in North Africa. Keep in mind the Punic Wars are several hundred years in the past and Carthage has been destroyed, the region has been under Roman rule and is a province, not sure what they're doing with this storyline. Lucius is captured and sold into slavery, and the story cycle begins.

The Roman Emperors are the brothers Geta and Caracalla; historically they aren't the worst emperors but, they're not known for their mercy either; one of them has the other killed. I enjoy Washington, he appears to be replaying the Oliver Reed-role as a gladiator-trainer and broker of things. Besides the ridiculous mismatching of hip-hop music, I'm getting a sense that modern values of self-determination, personal independence and revolutionary language are being worked into this story thus, smoothing over the complexities of history and the world that people actually existed in.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: corsair,

Posts: 15053 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Um...a woman fighting for Rome? Or did I misread that?

-MG

Posts: 2203 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I'd watch Denzel read the newspaper.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5521 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:

Exactly what would be appropriate for the trailer? The good 'ole Roman Classics like . . . well a quick search says, wait let me read this . . . "pipe music"?! Children's choirs?! F^ck that! Music of ancient Rome

The music for trailer is chosen specifically to sell the movie. And that, these days, is whatever the perceived movie going audience is that will get them excited about going to that movie . Maybe that doesn't work for you, but judging from the number of hits/likes to the video and your reaction, you might not be in that target audience.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2069 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's likely a movie I'll eventually watch. There's a decent chance I'll enjoy it too. I think the subject matter would have been better served by regular movie score music. I wouldn't have thought the trailer was any more appropriate if it included one of my favorite rock songs. Contemporary music isn't a good choice for a trailer for a movie that was preceded by a well-regarded historical (sort of?) action/drama epic, and seemingly wants to maintain the same atmosphere.

I am a white male in my mid thirties. Married (to a woman) with one young child. I own the first movie, and have seen it no less than twice; probably three times. I consider myself a Ridley Scott fan. I seem like I should be part of the target audience. But, we do live in backwards land on most days, so anything's possible.

Posts: 2457 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind, the music played in a trailer, is possibly not going to be apart of the movie itself. These trailer releases are pretty carefully crafted, and mixing-in varying music types and tempo, along with varying cuts, depends on the audience and the impression they're chasing after.
I'm sure the next trailer release, will be quite a bit different. Also, keep in mind the first movie's music score was done by Hans Zimmer, who was nominated for several awards for this movie so, tall order if comparing movie scores.

Posts: 15053 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Keep in mind, the music played in a trailer, is possibly not going to be apart of the movie itself.
I agree; it's very unlikely that kind of music will be in the movie. It'd be crazy if it was.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looks good, love the original.
May wait for streaming, but will watch it.

Soundtrack on the original was fantastic

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15966 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
I'd watch Denzel read the newspaper.

Got to see what he does with this role.

Posts: 7648 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Looks promising.

I loved the original. I’ll definitely watch this knowing that not many sequels live up to the brilliance of the original. Far fewer manage to improve upon the original. I am hoping this is one of those exceptions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21220 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post