SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Irish documentary on bookbinding
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Irish documentary on bookbinding Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
This is not something I sought out. It came up in my youtube recommendations. This is an RTE documentary from 1981. RTE is the Irish equivalent of England's BBC.

In the youtube comments, someone notes that this bookbinder is still in operation, and I think that's marvelous.

Not for everyone, but I found it quite interesting.

Posts: 107512 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Gentleman across the street from me does archival book binding and restoration.

For my wife’s last birthday he rebound a 40s/50s cookbook which was passed down from wife’s great grandmother. Tattered and with pages missing, he rebound it with a new leather cover and embossed with the great grandmother’s name. (As a surprise, that was fun to get. Lol)

It’s an art and skill few are willing to learn anc keep alive.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
As a book collector and enthusiast, this looks right up my alley -- thank you for the heads-up, Para.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
That was fascinating. I had no idea what went into that kind of work.

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post