SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Golf - any clubmakers?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Golf - any clubmakers? Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted
Anyone still "make" your own clubs?

Or, at least repair clubs, either your own or friends?

I built a sand wedge using a Golfsmith head back in the 90s. That lead to eventually having a complete set of tools including a loft/lie machine, swingweight scales, and dozens of other golf-specific tools. I designed and built many of my own tools and jigs. I probably built a dozen full sets for myself, along with dozens more single clubs, and built and repaired hundreds more for friends and others. I took pride in building with precision, either SW- or MOI-matched depending on what was needed or requested.

Today, the "component" business is still there, but a mere shell of what it once was. Quality of components is hit or miss. There is so much OEM product saturation, it's easier to just go find a nice used set of what you're looking for. I'm partial to older PING USA products and some Callaway stuff.

I have a set of nearly new MacGregor M675 iron heads -- I bought them in 2017 from Golf Galaxy for $45, a set of 4-PW. That was a steal. They were priced cheap because MacGregor is out of business. I pulled the shafts and gave them away, keeping the heads.

My 17-year old son has expressed interest in playing, so I decided to build these for myself and let him use one of my other sets. I picked up some XP-95 shafts and Lamkin grips when I was in Chicago, and put the 7-iron together. As a much older and less-capable golfer, I really benefit from that lightweight shaft compared to my old standby shafts, the Dynamic Gold or Project X.

Although I got rid of almost all my tools several years ago and only have the basic stuff, I found that I still really enjoy putting golf clubs together. It's a learned craft, and takes some knowledge to build them correctly, but at the same time it's enjoyable and rewarding.

I suspect that only a small percentage of hobbyist builders remain since the clubmaking industry took a dump.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
I still do my own grips.
Built clubs in the late 90s for friends and coworkers.
Will occasionally reshaft an old club, usually a putter these days.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I build sets for my wife, son and daughter about 20 years ago. I’ve also regripped a number of sets. I haven’t played in over 10 years but those 3 sets I made are still in my families hands. Both our kids still play from time to time.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I've built, repaired, clubs since Golfsmith was a single shop in Austin called Custom Golf in the seventies.
(I still even have whipping and parts for persimmon drivers/woods left.) Eek
Now days buying raw components and making a club from scratch doesn't make much sense with the uber-plethora of part/clubs available.
Better to customize to the individual.
More driver and wood customization today than anything else besides re-griping.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I took a class at golfsmith and eventually built my own set.

I purchased a really nice set of pings a few years ago but now I am back to my 20 year old clubs. Kind of fun actually.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I spent about an hour looking at what seems to be left of the component industry.

Diamond Tour — seems to be a knockoff company. Quality seems okay. Not my cup of tea.

Maltby/Golfworks — still has some nice designs, particularly in forged irons. I had good results using Maltby stuff 10-15 years ago.

Wishon — quality parts, but only (and understandably) available to approved custom Clubmakers.

Hireko (formerly Dynacraft) — a mix of knockoffs and some decent looking original designs.

Golfsmith — dead, other than eBay.

KZG — I’ve had a couple sets, good stuff. Available only to club fitters.

Giga Golf — no experience with these guys, but some of their components look pretty good.

A comment on shafts; I’m very impressed with the new generation of lightweight steel shafts on the market today. Years ago, a lightweight (sub-100 gram) shaft couldn’t be made stiff enough to accommodate most golfers. With advances in metallurgy, these new lightweight shafts are remarkable and even many TOUR players use them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: striker1,

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
I remember when club making by individuals was pretty popular, I just don't hear much about it anymore.

I re-grip my own clubs and and add 1/2" extensions but that is about as much as I will do. I have never re-shafted a club, but I would if needed. I buy most of my supplies through GolfWorks.

I love to play, I've been out 4 days in a row this week and have a tournament through work tomorrow. It's my new passion the last 3 years.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Not a clubmaker. Wanted custom clubs for my height. Found Ping had perfect features for me. I think this is what kills custom for average consumer.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Not a clubmaker. Wanted custom clubs for my height. Found Ping had perfect features for me. I think this is what kills custom for average consumer.

A properly configured set, with the lie and lengths put together by a Ping tech is about as close to full custom as you can get. The only remotely possible reason mine are more custom is that I picked the shafts for each club. Otherwise, but Ping set was just as custom.

What is interesting to me is that golfers change drivers and wedges etc. almost seasonally. I would have thought that would have driven the component market in golf (I think Golfsmith did too). But we tend to gravitate toward the newest $500 driver. I have a hybrid club in my bag and do not use my field woods anymore.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I just repaired a putter. The putter isn’t worth the time invested, but I gain more from the process and just working with my hands.

Before, warped/damaged insert fell out:

JB Weld replacement “insert”:

Nearly done, just needs final graining/cleanup:

RB

Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
I just repaired a putter. The putter isn’t worth the time invested, but I gain more from the process and just working with my hands.

Before, warped/damaged insert fell out:

JB Weld replacement “insert”:

Nearly done, just needs final graining/cleanup:

That is some very cool work. Does it putt straight Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
Does it putt straight Wink

It’s sure better than with the missing insert!

RB

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
JB Weld is a great choice for the insert.
Great job. Cool

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I've built, repaired, clubs since Golfsmith was a single shop in Austin called Custom Golf in the seventies.
Now days buying raw components and making a club from scratch doesn't make much sense with the uber-plethora of part/clubs available.

I gave my brother a Wood Bros driver and it needs whipping.
So far everyone I have asked about whipping it looks at me like I have 2 heads.

Would you consider it?

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
quote:

Would you consider it?

Bob

Wow, that brings back some memories. The last clubs I rewhipped were a PING ZING and Wood Bros Kool Kat drivers.

If smschulz isn’t able to do it there are still a few places that would. LOUISVILLE Golf is one.

RB

I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip.

I am going to have to take it back and have it done myself.
Waiting for him to have it done will probably never happen.

He would have to pay shipping to get it done.
If you look in the dictionary under frugal his pic is there. I just call him cheap.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back when I played I had a Dynacraft wedge and putter made for me and was pretty happy with both

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
quote:

Would you consider it?

Bob

I just saw this.
I could do it or if you like I could send you the whipping.
It isn't hard.
There is a good YouTube on how to do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RbIDMI4Ku8

Or maybe a local in your area can do it.