SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Last Kingdom: Seven Kings Must Die (NetFlix): Hard Pass
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Last Kingdom: Seven Kings Must Die (NetFlix): Hard Pass Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
The Last Kingdom, a five-season series on NetFlix, was great. So my wife and I were excited to see NetFlix had just dropped a two-hour reprise movie: The Last Kingdom: Seven Kings Must Die.

Then, nearly exactly a half-hour into the movie they just had to do it: A gay scene

They went five fracking seasons, forty-six one-hour episodes, without promoting the woke agenda. Then this.

My wife went to fast-forward past the scene. "I'm not watching this," I told her. She paused it. "Yeah, I don't care to, anymore, either," she replied. We stopped it, removed it from her list, and gave it a thumbs-down.

We've had it. From now on, the instant woke crap shows up in something on NetFlix the thing is getting stopped, down-voted, and removed from our lists.

And if (when?) that leaves us with too little to watch on NetFlix, we'll cancel NetFlix.

Mind you: We've a gay couple living across the street we regard as friends. My wife was close-ish friends with a lesbian couple back in the "old country." I've had other gay or lesbian acquaintances and coworkers, on and off, throughout most of my adult life. We don't care what consenting adults chose to do with one another.

But we're sure as hell fed up with having an agenda pushed in our faces every gorram time we turn around.

We're not having it anymore.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Cancel it. Don’t wait. Don’t forgive Amazon either.

Posts: 45402 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the second season of Barbarians.

While the initial season was really interesting and the two sides (Roman legions vs German tribes) were represented well, the second season turned out to be an unmitigated disaster. A forced gay relationship, a historical timeline warped to fit a story and a number of unrealistic fight scenes. It came out that the historical advisors quit the production over protest of how things were going. Cool

The Last Kingdom is one of the more underrated series to stream, too bad to hear this forced sequel or continuation is more of the same we're seeing from studios....storylines that nobody is asking for.

Posts: 14698 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
The Last Kingdom is one of the more underrated series to stream, ...
My wife and I truly enjoyed it. So much so we've left it on our list because we'll probably watch the whole thing again someday.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

But we're sure as hell fed up with having an agenda pushed in our faces every gorram time we turn around.

Agreed!

According to modern entertainment, most every human must be gay. They are intentionally pushing it at us with gay love scenes. I can't recall a single instance when the gay relationship enhanced the show's plot, but I'd accept the very occasional reference to such a relationship if there was entertainment value added.

Posts: 9483 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Just had the gay-insert in the episode of Ted Lasso we were watching. So stupid. Writers that do this shit don’t have a clue.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9163 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Just had the gay-insert in the episode of Ted Lasso we were watching. So stupid. Writers that do this shit don’t have a clue.

You knew that was coming, the entire show is about inter-personal relationships...you weren't watching it for the soccer I hope? Wink

Posts: 14698 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just had the gay-insert in the episode of Ted Lasso we were watching.
"Gay-insert"... Hmmm... "gaysert?"

"I was watchin' <blurfl> the other night and, damnit, twenty minutes in, wouldn't you know it, a friggin' gaysert!"

Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
The Last Kingdom is one of the more underrated series to stream, ...
My wife and I truly enjoyed it. So much so we've left it on our list because we'll probably watch the whole thing again someday.

The wife and I did the same. Don't know when we'll get to the "binge watch", but the series and movie have been saved.

I believe people should be able to live their lives as they see fit but I agree with the, and have the same distain, for the agenda pushing trend in current offerings, as most here do, however, this was... SPOILER ALERT ... (don't read my next post if you don't want my opinion or haven't watched it yet)...

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
...handled in a more realistic and appropriate manner than we typically get these days.

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Writers that do this shit don’t have a clue.

I beg to differ.

I have a good friend who writes movie scripts as a hobby. He tells me that these days promoting the woke/trans/gay agenda is required if you want to have a chance of being successful in Hollywood.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6426 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
He tells me that these days promoting the woke/trans/gay agenda is required if you want to have a chance of being successful in Hollywood.

It's white Leftists who are pushing this crap so they can stay in control.

Posts: 18094 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
We just finished watching the movie after watching the entire series The Last Kingdom.

The gay scene was very brief and not very graphic. No nudity.

In fact, history suggests the historical person may have been gay. So there is reason to include it in the movie, especially since the outcome of the relationship had a very large impact on the story and on the real history of England.

The gay aspect is not glamorized. It is not presented in accordance with a modern woke agenda.

Posts: 9483 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^Yes, that's the way we saw it, too, once I looked up the historical context. Good movie overall to wrap up the series.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5174 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched it yesterday. For me I'm always scared to return to a series I thought ended well and this series wrapped really well and was great all the way through. While I hate the woke agenda I want to point out two points from this show.

A. Please don't let this spoil your chance to see the series, even if you choose to skip the movie. The series is one of my favorite shows and is very well done.

------SPOILERS BELOW------

B. Yeah you do get a gay scene but no nudity and you see it coming a mile away. Unlike most agenda items, the one dude is a manipulator pretending to be a holy man who gets the other dude to do some crazy and dishonorable things. I don't think they sell the relationship as a positive in fact it's a huge negative that the one character has to try to make up for. He is disgraced and mocked for the entirety of the film. I could have done without it but I didn't think this was in any way pro-agenda.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:

A. Please don't let this spoil your chance to see the series, even if you choose to skip the movie. The series is one of my favorite shows and is very well done.

------SPOILERS BELOW------

B. Yeah you do get a gay scene but no nudity and you see it coming a mile away. Unlike most agenda items, the one dude is a manipulator pretending to be a holy man who gets the other dude to do some crazy and dishonorable things. I don't think they sell the relationship as a positive in fact it's a huge negative that the one character has to try to make up for. He is disgraced and mocked for the entirety of the film. I could have done without it but I didn't think this was in any way pro-agenda.

Well put.

That's exactly the way I saw it. I just did not go into the details (spoilers) in my earlier post the way that you did in your post simply because of timing. Now that a few weeks have past, the "spoiler" risk is pretty much gone.

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I think I finished this turd

It was so good I can't remember the ending

Posts: 5360 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Loved the series and was disappointed to see end end. I’m planning to watch the movie tonight, or at least was until Hogwarts Legacy for PS4 showed up early today. Oh, decisions, decisions!

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2109 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched it this afternoon. My analysis: a prime example of how faggotry can screw up so much stuff. Sorry, I had to say it. Same thing that my church is going through now as well.

JMHO, YMMV.

Posts: 492 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
The gay scene was very brief and not very graphic. No nudity.

In fact, history suggests the historical person may have been gay. So there is reason to include it in the movie, especially since the outcome of the relationship had a very large impact on the story and on the real history of England.

The gay aspect is not glamorized. It is not presented in accordance with a modern woke agenda.

quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
Unlike most agenda items, the one dude is a manipulator pretending to be a holy man who gets the other dude to do some crazy and dishonorable things. I don't think they sell the relationship as a positive in fact it's a huge negative that the one character has to try to make up for. He is disgraced and mocked for the entirety of the film. I could have done without it but I didn't think this was in any way pro-agenda.

Exactly my thoughts.

While I thought the movie was objectively bad, and certainly didn't hold a candle to the excellent series, this lone mild gay scene isn't what caused that. It very clearly wasn't some woke/pro-gay agenda anyways. And as mentioned, it actually fits into the historical context here.

The problem is the movie just felt rushed and lazy overall, with pretty poor writing, and most of the actors just phoning it in.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post