Find
Notify
Tools

First Man Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It's a flop...Hmmmmm wonder why that could be?

It's a real head-scratcher I must say!
Roll Eyes

'First Man' Box Office: One Giant Flop for Ryan Gosling?

I won't even watch this when it's free on TV, fuck that PC bullshit.

Posts: 33574 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Roll Eyes

You understand little about film. First off it’s been out one weekend. Next it’s a low budget film for this type of thing. They don’t need to recoup 200 million. No surprise that another low brow Superho film is #1 at the box office or that a Lady Gaga romance film is #2. Film people could have told you that a week ago. It’s a marathon not a sprint.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12558 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:

Roll Eyes

You understand little about film. First off it’s been out one weekend. Next it’s a low budget film for this type of thing. They don’t need to recoup 200 million. No surprise that another low brow Superho film is #1 at the box office or that a Lady Gaga romance film is #2. Film people could have told you that a week ago. It’s a marathon not a sprint.

Whatever man.

You keep telling yourself that.

In the real world, it doesn't look like this movie is doing well and it's the PC that did it.

Spin it however you want.

Posts: 33574 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig229owner
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Roll Eyes

Whatever man.

You keep telling yourself that.

In the real world, it doesn't look like this movie is doing well and it's the PC that did it.

Spin it however you want.

The hopeful projections for this film for opening weekend was $20 Million. That was if the film did REALLY well. They hit $16.5 Million for the weekend. Not quite what they were hoping for, but pretty close to their projections.

This film was never thought of as a blockbuster that would gross $80 million the first weekend. This film will stay in theatres up to Oscar season, which is what their strategy has always been.

Posts: 801 | Registered: July 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was good. Very character driven. Director really shows the family stress, the children, basically what happens at home.... YMMV.

Thank you Prefontaine, I will go and see it. Thanks for your write up. The initial hubbub had me concerned but the flag gets blown down anyway. I did think showing them struggling to get it to stand upright would have been a fun comedy sketch. I cant wait to see it.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3570 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229owner:
As one of the crew members of this film, I am glad to hear you enjoyed it. It was definitely a challenging film to make. I have not seen the final cut yet, but am looking forward to it.

You are absolutely correct about the lack of CGI. We used NO green screen during the filming. All the space sequences were shot with crafts on a large gimble in front of an LED wall about 30ft. X 100ft.

There was a very concerted effort to show the crafts and space sequences as realistically as possible. We even had a 200,000 watt light custom made to simulate the single lighting source of the sun during the lunar landing sequences. Additionally, we had several of the Astronauts that were part of the Apollo program there on set with us during the filming of those sequences in order to be as accurate as possible.

I think it is a shame that so much of the hype around this film is the omission of the planting of the flag on the moon. I understand everyone’s perspective on this, and I personally wish that we had filmed that and included it in the film, but alas, I am but a lowly below the line technician, and not the director.

Thank you for seeing the film, and for your thoughtful review.

That is pretty cool. I love movie magik

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3570 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig229owner
posted Hide Post
So, as some know, I worked on this film. I also decided to see it in the theatre this past weekend. I opted for the IMAX screening, as I knew the moon footage was shot in IMAX and I wanted to get the full experience when those scenes were played.

This is the first motion picture that I have worked on that I actually went and saw in the theatre. I usually don’t care to watch them on the big screen, but instead wait for them to come out on Netflix or HBO. But with all the crying and moaning about the flag planting scene being omitted, etc, I was interested in seeing the final cut.

I thought it was a very solid film. On a scale of 10, I’d probably give it a 7. There was a lot that I liked about the film, and a few things I didn’t care for.

For starters, the film is NOT ABOUT THE MOON LANDING. The focus of the film is about Neil Armstrong. It is based on a book about Neil. I know that most of you know this, but I thought I should reiterate it for those who think that this film is another Apollo 13 type film.

I think that overall, the film does a very good job of portraying Armstrong, and the challenges that he, his family, as well as the other men of the Gemini and Apollo programs (and their families) had to deal with. I will say that the film jumps from mission to mission in such a way that if you are not familiar with the space program of the 60s, you might find yourself lost from time to time. It is not too hard to follow, but there is not a lot of transitions from mission to mission.

The film looks really good for the most part. We used quite a few film stocks, 16mm, 35mm 2 perf, 35mm 3 perf, IMAX (65mm). On the IMAX screen, some of footage looks a bit grainy, but this is the feel that our director and DP were going for. When the film gets to the moon landing, the IMAX footage looks GREAT!!!

The film does an excellent job of showing the space race between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R., but as already stated by others, it is not a Top Gun in space type film. The focus of the film is on Neil, and the trials and tribulations that he went thru during that period in his life. The idea that this film somehow downplays the U.S. and its role in the moon landing is completely without merit. There are American flags all over the film... probably a shot of one about every 15-20 minutes in some way, shape or form. To those who say the flag was left off the space suits... NOT TRUE. To those that say if was left off the rocket... NOT TRUE. To those that say the flag was not in the moon scenes... again, NOT TRUE. They did not include the actual planting of the flag, as we all know by now. But the moon footage is pretty much all about Neil. There is I believe, only one shot of both Neil and Buzz on the lunar surface together (gathering core samples IIRC). Other than that, it’s all about Neil. I have said it before, I personally wish they had shown the planting of the flag if for no other reason than to please the folks that think this film was supposed to be strictly about the Apollo 11 mission. But, the director chose not to focus on that 10 minutes of the EVA. It is ultimately his decision, as it was his film to make. I’m sure that it will cost him some viewers (sadly), but it was his choice.

The sequences with Neil and his wife are done well, and there are definitely some dramatic moments between the two of them.

The sequences of the space crafts are probably the most realistic ever shot. The director and DP do a good job of putting the viewer in the craft to experience the view point and sensation that the astronauts would have felt. It is a bit jarring at times, and this is compounded by seeing it on the IMAX screen. But lets face it, being strapped to a rocket and shot into outer space is not a smooth, beautiful ride.

One of the things I didn’t care for as much in the film was the over abundance of close ups. I know that they chose to do this for a reason, but I felt like they overdid it a bit. A few more scenes in wide and medium shots would have played better in my opinion. The other thing that I was not crazy about was the number of shots in the film that had soft focus. I am sure that seeing the 16mm footage on the IMAX screen multiplied the effect, and again, I know this was done for a reason, but I felt like the soft focus was used a bit too much. And the last thing I wasn’t thrilled about was that we shot almost all of this film handheld. The decision to do this was made in part to make the film feel more like a documentary than a feature film. I would say that it definitely gives it that feel. But personally, I like tracking shots, crane shots, and steadi-cam shots, so to me, the handheld camera work is a bit overdone. But I knew that was going to be an issue for me while we were still filming.

So, again, I would give it a solid 7 out of 10. If you want to see a good film about a great American hero, I highly recommend you give the film a chance. If you want to see a US vs USSR film where we kick their asses and gloat about how much better we are, then will probably be disappointed. This film is a slow burn, not a flash in the pan so to speak.

And there are my 2 cents....

Posts: 801 | Registered: July 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, this shithead director also directed La La Land, and while I haven't seen it, my wife has. My wife has kind words for everyone and normally will keep her criticisms to herself, but she told me flat out that La La Land was horrible, really bad. Stinko.

Looks like this douchebag is gonna make a career out of films that I will never, ever see.

And because he left the flag out of the moon sequence, I have no doubt whatsoever that come time for Oscar nomination announcements, this movie will be nominated in multiple categories, with at least one win, and possibly more.

Posts: 107234 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about seeing this in the theater this weekend with my better half, but was concerned about camera shake after seeing a bit of the trailer.

How's the shakiness of movie? Does it jerk around like the Jason Bourne movies? That last one was so bad, my better half spent the majority of the time with her eyes closed and I found it to be quite distracting.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Long ago I loved watching films for entertainment. These days i’d sooner give my hard earned cash to a panhandler than go to the movies. Fuck Hollyweird and their degenerate writers, directors and actors.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I could let this flag shit pass and not worry about it. Not any more. I have had it with this PC, anti American BS. Everyone worldwide knows this film is about the hard work and success of the USA. To omit the flag is simply a statement of where they stand politically, a poke in the other sides eye. It does not make the film more "inclusive" of other countries and people.

JC

Posts: 1267 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
A few years ago I could let this flag shit pass and not worry about it. Not any more. I have had it with this PC, anti American BS.

I agree with this 100%. Enough is enough. I'm going to try my hardest to not spend my $ to support any of it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Vintage Space did a review. I have been a follower of hers for a few years. I really like her take on the movie, and I have to agree.

********************spoilers in her video*********************************

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Saw it on video. In summary, the movie is about Neil Armstrong being a very inward, closed off person, presumably after he lost his daughter, but likely it was just how he was. He didn't say a lot and eventually just closed himself off more and more. He was very focused on his job. That's about it. The movie was basically showing that for 2 hours. The rest of the time had an airplane, a rocket or the moon.

At least my local video store got $1.75 out of it all.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
OK, I rented this incoherent pile of social justice tripe.

They lost me at Whitey On The Moon having more play time that the actual moon landing clip with the American flag.

It's garbage. Worse than Melancholia.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34073 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a solid film. Are you folks who didn't like it only upset about the flag omission?

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
They made Armstrong out as a sociopath, then injected social justice.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34073 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched the blu-ray at a friends house, it was not worth the effort.

Posts: 1544 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
OK, I rented this incoherent pile of social justice tripe.

They lost me at Whitey On The Moon having more play time that the actual moon landing clip with the American flag.

It's garbage. Worse than Melancholia.

Thanks for saving me $2, I was tempted to get it from Red Box but now will not.

The people saying that "we don't get it" are missing the whole point; if they don't show one of the most iconic scenes in history which is the "unfurling" and placing of the American flag on the lunar surface, then what is the point of this all?

So iconic that a famous network made it their symbol and brand!

Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
My wife and I rented it this past weekend. I knew Ryan Gosling would fuck it up. He’s the most over rated actor in hollyweird. Anyway the flag was there they just didn’t show them planting it which I think they should have. You can see it as they are leaving.

But overall they just glossed over a lot of important events. I get that it was supposed to be about Armstrong but he wasn’t the most likable or approachable. I think the story tried to cover too much in 2 hours. It would have been better as a 10 part story on Netflix.

We are going to watch another space program movie this weekend called “The Last Man on the Moon” about Gene Cernan.

Posts: 1440 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post