SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Witcher3 - XBox1
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Witcher3 - XBox1 Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I'm on my 4th play thru of RedDead2 so it is time to begin something new.

I want to start Witcher3, but my kids tell me since I've not played the other Witcher games I should either read the books or watch the TV show first. They think it will make much more sense to me that way.

Agree/disagree?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The TV show jumps around in the timeline of the games, so that's probably the worst choice you can make.

The first two games should be stupidly cheap. Just get those first.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I played Witcher 3 as the first game in the series that I played. It was fine. You might miss some backstory, but not biggie. It is very playable anyway.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Agree 100%

quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I played Witcher 3 as the first game in the series that I played. It was fine. You might miss some backstory, but not biggie. It is very playable anyway.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
One thing I’ve learned from playing Red Dead is that I really enjoy knowing the back stories. This afternoon I jumped on YouTube and have found a number of videos that recap games 1&2 and then bring me up to the spot where gamed 3 begins.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Witcher 3 is totally playable and enjoyable without playing any of the earlier ones.

But if you do play the earlier ones or read the books, you'll catch on to more of the minor references, cameos, and easter eggs.

Watching the Netflix series won't help all that much, but it's good, so you should watch it anyway. Big Grin

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Witcher 3 is one of my all time favorites. Once you get the hang of the combat system its awesome. The story is great and the choices you make have real consequences and usually aren't black and white "good" or "evil."

If you enjoy it at all, get the Blood and Wine expansion pack. Geralt takes a contract in what looks much like the South of France. It's practically a whole new full size game in itself and ties up the story lines nicely.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just start playing Witcher 3 as soon as possible. You don't need the books, TV series or anything else. Oh, and btw, tell you're family that you wont be seeing them for a very long time.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Learn the inputs to dodge, block or parry enemy attacks. Find some lower level enemies you can handle and just play around defending against their attacks for a while and you’ll get a feel for it.

I had a tough time until I got the hang of it. Offensive combos can give big damage bonuses and very rewarding kill animations so learn those too. This game is no button masher.

You will have to avoid / defend well to survive against monsters and higher level enemies than you. As was said before, once you get the hang of the combat, the game is a blast.

I really enjoyed the Blood and Wine expansion, too.

Keep at it and you’ll be chopping torsos in half before long.

Try to save before big fights and enjoy one of the best games ever made.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post