SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Mitch Rapp series of books - question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mitch Rapp series of books - question Login/Join 
posted
For those that have read the series, did you notice any change to the content, character, or style after Kyle Mills took up authorship after Vince Flynn's death?

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
I have read a number of reviews opining that the books are not as good or as well written. I still enjoy the books but I have noticed some very small errors that would have never been in the earlier books. It does not mean I will stop reading them as I still find them entertaining.

Posts: 1355 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Well, the first novel that Mills did was poorly written compared with Flynn's. I stopped reading the series with that first novel--not because of Flynn's writing but because by that point, I was already a little fed up with how neat and tidy every story was. So I can't tell you if Mills improved.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18016 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I read Mills’ first offering; it was my last. Yeah, I noticed

Posts: 13155 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rats. That's what I thought. Still have a few more of Flynn's books to go before I complete that part of the series and was hoping Mills' books would be as good.

I'll give the first Mills book a read but appreciate the heads-up on what to expect.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Mills wrote some really good books before taking up the mantle from Flynn.

Check them out. Having given his work an endorsement I just didn't think he quite carried off the Mitch Rapp story. It wasn't BAD per se. It just wasn't the same or the same quality.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've only read the first one of Mills' Mitch Rapp books. It was OK. I don't know if the later ones have improved or not. I have a copy of Lethal Agent but haven't got around to reading it yet (I've got a whole stack of various books that I've picked up over the Covid shutdown). Honestly I found even the later ones by Flynn kind of got into a rut. Rapp taking out the terrorist du Jour while the assholes in congress/DOJ are trying to take him down. I've come to prefer Brad Thor's Scot Harvath series.

Posts: 7241 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read all of the Flynn books (some twice) and maybe two or three from Mills. In the last one by Mills (sorry, can't remember the title) Mitch had learned to fly the Gulfstream!

Come on man, he's a mean mo fo but that's too much.

Posts: 15895 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
I've read all of the Flynn and Mills' Mitch Rapp books. They've always been rather formulaic. Actually, I just finished reading the last two Mills' books, Lethal Agent and Total Power. Out of the entire series, Total Power ranks right up there as one of the best in my opinion. A bit of a detour from the standard storyline centering around middle eastern terrorists. Middle eastern terrorists still play a big role, but they aren't the centerpiece. Worth checking out and could be read without needing the preceding books.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post