SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Blues Brothers 2000
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blues Brothers 2000 Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
Creating a sequel for one of the best movies ever made? Whoever came up with idea to follow the movie had to be under the influence of sheer joy.

Paying homage to the original, bringing people back for cameos, and making a mash-up of so many superlative movies...all in two hours? Check!

You would think Hal Needham was directing, with all the police cars chasing the heroes. The cost of crashed cruisers exceeds the GDP of Bangaledesh. The links to other action movies of the era -- amazing. Russians as bad guys? Why not? Neo-KKK? Yep. Catholic nuns doing good while doing bad? Sure. Inept law enforcement? FBI, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana...cue Buford T Pusser. Special church services -- with music and dancing? Praise!

The number of truly amazing musicians in this movie is awesome. Watching the credits, you marvel that the movie producers were able to bring them all in. True talents, expressing joy as they played together in a once - in - a - lifetime jam.

If you are expecting a golden age classic, you'll be disappointed. If you are hoping to remember the great movie from years ago, and to relax with an adult beverage or two, this is a movie for you. See it on Amazon Prime.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5146 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
It’s fun because of the good music and all of the cool cameos.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10523 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"If you are hoping to remember the great movie from years ago, and to relax with an adult beverage or two, this is a movie for you."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44071 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have paid to be an extra for that final music scene. Imagine what they could have charged to have all those artists, even at their age in 2000, have a couple of blow out concerts.

Kinda think it was Dan Akroyd telling John landis…. Yeah let’s get every blues musician alive that’s willing to be in this movie. as a personal love letter from Akroyd to them and sorry about not being able to get you a cameo in the 1st movie.

Posts: 4840 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Love the original and watched it again a few months ago. I didn't even know they had a reboot but I'll check it out for sure.

Posts: 3487 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I found it to be a pale imitation of the original, but will admit that I love the big musical number at the end. Ackroyd is a huge blues fan and clearly called everyone he could find. The revival was fun too.

The original however is an absolute classic piece of American cinema.

Posts: 2615 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While the first movie is the greatest musical ever made, BB2k is a fun and enjoyable imitation

Posts: 14804 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post