SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Highway Patrol — TV Series — Artistic Liberty Or Police Procedures Sure Have Changed?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Highway Patrol — TV Series — Artistic Liberty Or Police Procedures Sure Have Changed? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
On MeTV, early, the Broderick Crawford series ends with a successful arrest of three criminals. The good guys get their men, but
(a) the criminals drop their revolvers at the first sight of the police
(b) the LEOs individually frisk the bad guys, even outnumbered 3 to 2
(c) the bad guys are pushed out the door uncuffed to get in one patrol car
(d) the bad guy weapons are left behind

Surely this can’t be how it was way back when?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5200 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watch every episode. I like:
The mid to late 50s California scenery and roads.
The patrol cars are two door coupes. The cop bikes are a hoot.
One episode has a young Clint Eastwood. On a motorcycle.
The convertible was popular, even as a getaway vehicle.
Women dressed like my Mom.
As far as the cops go:
The revolver is king, and snubs for just about everybody.
Spring open speed holsters for the uniforms.
No portable radios.
Communications by phone. Often an actual pay phone.
Lots of bad guys get shot. No paperwork needed.
No real crime scene investigations.
No courtroom stuff.
Lots of tire track impressions taken.
Never a tow truck to be seen.
Everybody wears hats.
Only "Highway Patrol" get involved in crime. Almost no local or county cops.
The Bell Sioux Helicopter is cutting edge technology!
Fun Fact: Brodrick Crawford was a full on drunk and his drivers license was suspended at the time of filming. If you see him driving, its on private property. His alcoholism caused the CHP to yank their support of the show eventually.
And I too think they played fast and loose with police procedure, even in the 50s.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16378 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite actors. Wonderful portrayal of Huey P. Long. He knew with his looks he would never be a leading man. Made some great Film Noir films. Enjoyed the police procedurals of the 1950s.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'2150 by..'

Posts: 1480 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To top it off, weren't the patrol cars Nashs or was that a different series?

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen a Nash used when local cops are shown. Saw them used as patrol cars in movies, too. The "Highway Patrol" doesn't use them.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16378 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
When Highway Patrol was being filmed there was a large amount of cooperation between the production company and the CHP. Early on the CHP loaned them actual CHP cars.

A bit of trivia here. The 1955 Buick Century two door sedans used in the series were part of a limited production build of 261 cars. Originally the two door sedan was only available in the Special model, all Specials were built with a 264 CID 2 barrel carburetor. Centuries, Supers and Roadmasters were all 322 cID 4 barrel carburetors. Buick engineers did their magic and created the Century 2 door sedan and sold all of the to the CHP.

They still turn up from time to time out west and highly coveted.

Another bit of trivia, many times Dan Matthews is being driven by a uniformed actor. Supposedly at those times Broderick Crawford’s drivers license was under suspension and because the filming was done on actual roads he could not legally drive.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8378 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:

Surely this can’t be how it was way back when?

Its a TV show....from a different era...when society was largely accommodating if not compliant...when people still wore hats, a coat and gloves when out in public....when the population was a LOT smaller...its a TV show

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many, many years ago when I was a town cop, I stopped Broderick Crawford for speeding through a village I patrolled. He was known to be a big drinker but i didn't pick up a scent of alcohol. I was pretty star-struck anyway. He was friendly and polite-believe he had a connection to Central New York, maybe his mom or something.I shoulda got an autograph, I guess...

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 697 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post