SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Trek: The Motion Picture Director's Edition in 4K Coming April 5th
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Trek: The Motion Picture Director's Edition in 4K Coming April 5th Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted
The only Star Trek release that matters this year is coming on April 5th to Paramount+ (which I intend to make T-Mobile pay for):

Fathom Events will also be showing the movie in theaters towards the end of May:

https://www.fathomevents.com/e...ek-TMP-Directors-Cut

And unofficially, we'll get the movie on 4K Blu Ray in September.

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I named one of my Eve Online characters after Decker's girlfriend, Illia. Otherwise, that's all the impact that movie has had on me.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
There are easier ways to get to sleep than watching that movie....but I can't think of any offhand.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
There are easier ways to get to sleep than watching that movie....but I can't think of any offhand.

I’m a Trekkie, and I agree.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The Director's Cut that came out in 1999 actually turned this into a good movie. The only difference now is Paramount didn't cheap out and only render it at 480p.

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Now do ST II: The Wrath of Khan

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Hell, yes! Best movie of the bunch, going away. Most of what was interesting in TMP was over after the initial encounter between the Klingons and VGer, and the Kohlinar scene.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Is the Director's Cut shorter?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:

I remember seeing this movie in a theater with friends in its first run. It was "50 Cent Night"; Weds night 50 cent ticket, sodas, and popcorn.

We all walked out after maybe an hour. The first and one of the few movies that wasn't worth $ .50

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Is the Director's Cut shorter?

It’s 10 minutes shorter and jams in more scenes. It doesn’t turn into an action movie, but it feels like a movie with an actual plot instead of just endless montages. There’s an actual beginning, middle, and end now.

quote:

They did. Since no VFX shots needed finishing, the Director’s Cut has been on DVD, Blu Ray, and 4K.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've said it before, the best part of that movies was the novelty of it. At the time. Old Tv show brought back as a movie. Seeing these characters again for the first time in over a decade.

Here and now that's all gone. The idea is old and beaten to death. After that we saw them again and again, maybe too much.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Bah, I could watch 4k flybys of just the ships.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I was a huge Trekkie and 11 years old when this came out. Looked forward to it more than Christmas and could not have been more excited to see it. And the it just . . . Sucked. A massive disappointment. It was unwatchable let alone rewatchable.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
So none of you ever knew that Paramount let the director Robert Wise fix and reedit this movie 20 years ago before he died? You’re all just living on nostalgia of an incomplete movie rushed into theaters before it was finished back in 1979?

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
So none of you ever knew that Paramount let the director Robert Wise fix and reedit this movie 20 years ago before he died? You’re all just living on nostalgia of an incomplete movie rushed into theaters before it was finished back in 1979?

I'll watch it,

I saw the original in the theater as a 14yr old Star Trek fan,

was it slow,, yes, but to see all that on the big screen was awesome

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:

I’m a Trekkie, and I agree.

Yup, snooze fest. I finally woke up thanks to the fireworks at the end. Lol.

Q

Posts: 26350 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was that the one where the aliens found Voyager souped it up and it tried to kill everyone? If so I don’t give a shit what the director did to try to save it. It was horrible.

Enjoy your flybys.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Is this only being released for streaming? I was not able to find a pre order for the 4k disk version.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:

Pretty much.

I'm a Star Trek fan, but that film was so terrible that I basically haven't given it a second thought ever since I saw it the first time.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
But those flybys...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post