SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    I was once out strolling
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I was once out strolling Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
One very hot summer's day ...
(a senior in High School, at the time)

Eric Burdon’s Baffling ‘Spill the Wine’ Explained

By 1969, Eric Burdon had split with the Animals and was living in San Francisco when he joined California funk rock band War. As Eric Burdon & War, the group scored its biggest hit in 1970 with “Spill the Wine”; five decades later, fans still debate what the lyrics mean.

“Spill the Wine” was unique in 1970, if only for Burdon’s buzzed spoken delivery. Behind Burdon throughout is a woman faintly speaking Spanish. And those impenetrable lyrics about an “overfed, long-haired leaping gnome.”

The song’s title emerged during a recording session at Wally Heider Studios in San Francisco. A bottle of wine was passed around and was spilled into a console. The band was moved to another studio, where “Spill the Wine” gelled.

Burdon had already been working on a tune about waking up in a grassy field, but the wine accident seemed to spark the missing piece of the puzzle.

Burdon has said that the recording session was as loose as the finished song sounds. When most of the band members broke for lunch, Burdon stretched out on the floor for a short nap but broke into song. Producer Jerry Goldstein brought over a microphone and keyboardist Lonnie Jordan played a backing track. The rest of the tracks were recorded later.

Burdon says even he’s not sure what the song means. “I guess it was my homage to Mexico (maybe Mexican women) and the feeling I got when I was there,” Burdon told Get Ready to Rock. “It was Old World Mexico, nothing to do with the Americanized version now.”

“That song was basically about a Californian mountain called Mount Tamalpais, and back in the hippie days we all used to go up there and hang out. But the DJs wouldn’t play the song because they wrongly assumed the lyrics were all about sex and drugs. So as a consequence ‘Spill the Wine’ became the song that they played.”

In Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood: A Memoir, Burdon explains how the band became identified with the song.

“The song came from a tipped-over bottle in a recording studio and developed out of a jam session. But the spilling of the wine became quite a ceremony with the band. Promoters would leave bottles of red California wine backstage. . .

“What we never seemed to have was a corkscrew, but I discovered that these bottles were easy to get into if you just plunged your middle finger into the cork. The trick was placing your mouth over the bottle to catch the cheap plonk as it erupted. It soon became a backstage event, this ‘spilling of the wine.’”

Burdon would only work with War for two years; after he left, War continued its success with hits like “Cisco Kid,” “Low Rider” and “Why Can’t We Be Friends?” “Spill the Wine” was Burdon’s last Top 10 hit.

https://medium.com/the-riff/er...plained-18f9bc4b41d9

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15898 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Great song! I've always liked it.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38685 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I Was 7 in 1970 and remember this song on the radio,

this and Green Eyed Lady

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
I Was 7 in 1970 and remember this song on the radio,

this and Green Eyed Lady

Me too! I grew up expecting that level and volume of creativity and variety would continue for my whole life. Makes me miss being a kid.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7263 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a senior in '70-'71 also. And of course remember the song. Always a fan of Eric Burdon (and his bands). Thanks for this information.

Here's another old favorite from a couple years before... Sky Pilot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lroU7apzma8

Posts: 2694 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post