SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Spy - Sasha Baron Cohen
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Spy - Sasha Baron Cohen Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted
Holy Hell it looks like an incredible performance. Based on the real life Mossad Agent Eli Cohen.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redstone,

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Looks good. It'll be strange to see him in a dramatic role.

(Also, his "middle" name is part of his last name. It's just not hyphenated. The correct way to write his name is Sacha Baron Cohen.)

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll have to see this when it comes out.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
VERY NICE!

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am looking forward to it.

Anyone who can fool all those people into appearing in his previous films has to be able to act some.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Borat teaming up with FBI Agent Stan Beeman from "The Americans". What could possibly go wrong? Wink

Thanks for the heads up! I'm looking forward to this!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Looks good. It'll be strange to see him in a dramatic role.

(Also, his "middle" name is part of his last name. It's just not hyphenated. The correct way to write his name is Sacha Baron Cohen.)

You are correct. I did not know that. Sasha Cohen is a skater.

His name from Wikipedia:
"This British surname is barrelled, being made up of multiple names. It should be written as Baron Cohen, not Cohen.
Sacha Baron Cohen

Sacha Noam Baron Cohen (Hebrew: סשה נועם ברון כהן‎; born 13 October 1971) is an English actor, comedian, screenwriter, director and film producer."

Also, I have always hypothesized that having kids led to him stopping the crazy 'borat' 'Ali-G' satire characters.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will wait and see. Admittedly some of his humor was funny. After awhile it was like spending your time with 16 year old boys. He can be incredibly annoying. To me it is kind of like Red Skelton or Jerry Lewis playing a dramatic role. Now, Jackie Gleason did have the capability of playing a serious role.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but I have no use for this clown.

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
This is not his first serious role.

Hugo and Les Miserables were both good films and he played the parts well. Not main characters but important enough.

I saw the preview before this thread and I do have to admit I kept waiting for the shoe to drop into some sort of nonsense joke but I think it looks pretty good.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:

I would normally agree but he is related to the real character so I believe he will do this justice.

Posts: 816 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
This is not his first serious role.

Hugo and Les Miserables were both good films and he played the parts well. Not main characters but important enough.

I saw the preview before this thread and I do have to admit I kept waiting for the shoe to drop into some sort of nonsense joke but I think it looks pretty good.

I am looking forward to seeing it.

I had forgotten that he was in Les Mis.

I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
This looks great. I must say, Netflix is worth every penny. They are producing some top notch films and series lately.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If Netflix doubled their monthly subscription fee I'd gripe but pay it same day. Great value.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Citadel:
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:

I would normally agree but he is related to the real character so I believe he will do this justice.

I just finished it. I think he did a great job.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of Sasha but I did binge this series and loved it. He did a very good job.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The serious roles he's played in the past, like Robin Williams, he's surprisingly good at.

Before though, I pretty much viewed him as the British version of Tom Green. Initially funny, then boring, then annoying as fuck..ok, we get the joke you idiot, cut.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Watched it the last couple of nights. I am impressed with the acting (Cohen's and others) and the film production. The tension when he was in compromising positions really came across strong.

As to his ass-foolery in previous endeavors, well, yeah most of that was over the top, but it did accomplish what he was going for. Getting notice, talked about and money.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy: ...but it did accomplish what he was going for. Getting notice, talked about and money.

...and Isla Fisher. Big Grin

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally finished it, wow. Very impressive by Barron Cohen.
Hell of a story of modern espionage, sure made the Syrians look like chumps.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post