SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Ridley Scott, your Top 5 more relevant movies…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ridley Scott, your Top 5 more relevant movies… Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I have never seen Blade Runner...

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10752 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guess I have to find the director's cut of KofH. I sort of got bored stiff and more or less snoozed through the original version when it was a thing.

Since I do have a strong dislike for Hollywood in general, I haven't watched most of his movies nor do I actively seek them out. However I was at some point told about a lot of good stuff about Alien Covenant, so I might have to give that one a spin. Someday. Maybe.

Black Hawk Down, Alien, Blade Runner, American Gangster, Gladiator...those I remember seeing and liking, and I think I would place them in about that order. I started The Martian but never got around to finishing it, though what I did see I remember liking. Same with one called Matchstick Men, I think; I borrowed the DVD from someone years ago and only got part of the way through it before having to return it. Seemed like it was a good film but with my apparent ADD with movies it must not have been good enough for me to want to actually see it all the way to its end. :shrug:

-MG

Posts: 2203 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
but he should not be a leading man. Too wimpy.
That was part of that particular character, in KoH. He was not a knight. He was a regular guy who was motivated and mentored by other folks. He went on later to do the same thing.

Posts: 2457 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my opinion
The Duelist
Gladiator
Blackhawk Down
American Gangster
Robin Hood

"The more People I meet, the more I like Dogs."

Posts: 2948 | Location: Houston,Texas | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I set out to watch Black Rain, based on the mentions in this thread. I made it halfway through. I don't really care for it. I am realizing lately that I am not a fan of Douglas in general. I liked the Japanese actor and Garcia so, once Garcia was killed, a big piece of my motivation to continue was gone.

Posts: 2457 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
So you ignore the revenge story in the second half of the movie?

Posts: 4423 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I did expect to potentially get renewed motivation by sharing my thoughts here.

Either way, a first half that doesn't do much for me, combined with my indifference for Douglas' performance, makes for a movie that isn't going to become a favorite. The second half would have to blow the doors off, to make the first half worthwhile in repeat viewings.

For comparison's sake (though somewhat extreme), The Final Option has a kick-ass final scene. It doesn't make the entire movie worth watching over again though.

posted Hide Post
My list:
Alien
Blade Runner (Final Cut)
Kingdom of Heaven (Director’s Cut)
Gladiator
Black Rain

Posts: 3407 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Our movie reviewer picked Thelma and Louise for next week. I would have never considered it. Hated it when it came out and after rewatching it my feelings are the same. Will never get those two hours back and will have two extra hours to figure out what is it that is worth more of my time.

Th two chicks were dumb, the rest of the characters are moronic and Keitel does a lukewarm cop that cant finish the job.

40 years later there are still people wondering about Thelme and Louise, the Schroeder’s chicks.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12258 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I completed Black Rain. In my opinion, that movie is not good. It ranks dead last, among the Ridley Scott movies I have seen, which number seventeen.

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Do I love to hate this iPhone and it’s mischievous tricks. Above post, i ment Scröedinger chicks, which sounds funny to me.

RS has crappy movies too but i wouldn’t put Black rain in hat list. He obviously used a lot of tricks learned in Blade runner and the flick story is way decent but original.
Couldn’t care less for Mr. Douglas. As an actot i have yet to find him remarkable, his greatest carrer achievement, IMO, was marrying Zeta Jones back in the day.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12258 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post