SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Scarface (1983) holster question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scarface (1983) holster question Login/Join 
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted
O.K., I've seen Scarface numerous times, and this has always bothered me for some reason. I know it's a minor thing and doesn't take away from the overall movie, but I'm curious.

In the scene where Tony kills Frank Lopez and Mel Bernstein, Mel is wearing a J frame on his right side. To me, the holster looks like it's a left hand IWB (by the position of the sweat shield)but he's wearing it OWB on the right side. I was only 19 when the movie came out and wasn't very versed in holster options of the time. Was this a typical OWB style, or did the prop master just use what he had available and just make it work?

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
the holster looks like it's a left hand IWB

I have noticed it too. I think you are correct.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Likely error from the wardrobe/prop department

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
Or perhaps not.

Remember, the paddle OWB holsters did not exist in those days.

I should think they filmed scenes with the gun/holster in various locations on the belt through multiple takes. What a pain in the ass it must have been to continuously unbuckle the belt and loop and deloop it through the belt slots on the holster to relocate it.

It would have been far easier and less time consuming to clip and unclip. Hence the left-hand IWB holster masquerading as a right hand OWB holster for the scene.

At least that's my theory.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The shape of it reminds me of something made by Jay-Pee.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post