SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Is the Criterion Collection editing their films?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the Criterion Collection editing their films? Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
I don't give a rats ass about Disney but if the Criterion Collection is bowdlerizing their material secretly, then that's a big deal.

They have always claimed to be in the business of restoring and preserving films. If they have started censoring their films to
make them PC and consistent with the 'latest thing', then it's a real shame.

Check this out:

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
That is sad. Never expected Criterion to do that.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I have a DVD of the FC that is non-Criterion. I think that the removal of controversial words has been authorized at a higher level. My DVD lacks vocabulary that I remember from the VHS.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
My Criterion edition of Repo Man has not been tampered with. Otto still says "F#¢k you queer" to Bud as he's being enlisted for his first repo.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
Which begs the question, where would one now obtain an uncensored version of the film.......

Posts: 1728 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw this today.

"Yet when consumers watch the movie on The Criterion Channel or Turner Classic Movies, they’ll see an edited version. Eager to buy a digital copy on iTunes? Wells’s site says that version will be expurgated as well.

Disney currently owns 20th Century Fox titles, meaning a corporation known for its aggressive “woke” makeover may have “updated” the past Best Picture winner on the sly.

Will future generations see the original 1970s film — or the version edited to placate sensitive viewers of the mid-2020s?

The news didn’t make the mainstream media cut, even on platforms dedicated to covering all things entertainment (Variety, Deadline, The Hollywood Reporter). Enough movie lovers learned about the censorship via various right-leaning platforms to make the film’s Blu-ray edition soar to $142 on Amazon.com. (Most Blu-ray titles roughly run from $8-$40.) Twitter users urged peers to scoop up physical media versions of their favorite films … while they still can.

The censored film is reminiscent of how “sensitivity readers” tweaked classic books by Ian Fleming, Agatha Christie and Roald Dahl in recent months to align with modern cultural mores."

Source: Silent Censorship of classic movies has begun

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post