SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Thinking about trading a MAC10 for Rolex
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about trading a MAC10 for Rolex Login/Join 
posted
I've been thinking about this for a while. I have a transferable Powder Springs M10 in .45 that rarely sees daylight. I would actually enjoy a nice Sub or GMT daily. They both appreciate over time. The Mac would be cooler to hand down to my kids i believe.
Pros and cons?

Posts: 130 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What movie is this?

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My bad I was thinking this would fit into common interests - hobbies when I posted it. Perhaps The Lounge would have been more appropriate?

Posts: 130 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
If I had a transferable Powder Springs Mac 10, no way I would trade it off for a watch you could buy any day. But then I am a gun collector/shooter this is why I am here.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Agree!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
^^^ Agree!

Me too. There will always be GMTs and Subs out there.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
you can answer the door with the mac. the rolex? is already off an hour since sunday.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Leave the Rolex...take the Mac 10.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It all depends, being the watch guy it's what I do for a living just doing a quick search your Mac 10 is worth about 8k.

I don't know what you paid for it originally or I'm guessing you at the very least made all the depreciation back so you won't lose any money on it. But ask yourself this if you never shoot it or have no plans to in the immediate future is it worth owning if it just collects dust?

Yes it's rarer and it will never go down in price, but if you do sell it or want to sell it with all the laws and regs to deal with you have a limited customer base especially since NFA items like this cost a fortune.

Now a Rolex Sub guessing you want the date version is $8,500 and a GMT will run you $8,950 or $9,250 with the Steel Sports shortage that Rolex is pulling these watches don't depreciate since their is waiting lists with supply being low. In fact certain models are going for over MSRP on the secondary market for several thousand over retail.

When older Rolex models are out of production they always go up in value never down.

I have a customer who has a GMT Coke Rolex from 1987 he paid $1,800 in 1987 it's now worth up to 10K. He wants to sell it since he no longer wears it and doesn't do luxury anymore.

Unless that M10 is going to skyrocket in value and it would be a stupid move to part with it I say get the Rolex and enjoy it, and someday down the line you can always pass it on with out the headache of the dealing with a NFA item.

Me personally I'm currently selling lots of collectibles I've acquired over the years that won't go up anymore in price but are worth well more than on what I paid. A few I plan on keeping but the rest they're just collecting dust in the closet and I rather make my money back and the profit and clear out some closet space.

Posts: 965 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't see many watches keeping pace in appreciation with transferrable machine guns. Macs being on the lower end price wise arguably leaves them more room to grow in value as the HK and AR stuff keeps marching into the thirty thousands.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dfens:
Yes it's rarer and it will never go down in price, but if you do sell it or want to sell it with all the laws and regs to deal with you have a limited customer base especially since NFA items like this cost a fortune.

the laws are regs are actually not that hard of a thing to deal with in the NFA world,

hoops, yes, and time, lots of time, but the rest the stuff is not much to deal with

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow some great comments. Thanks guys.
The Mac was $2500 in 2006. I wonder what a sub or gmt was back then?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woof:
Wow some great comments. Thanks guys.
The Mac was $2500 in 2006. I wonder what a sub or gmt was back then?

Then
A used s/s sub $2000 (fairly new one)
A used 2 tone GMT master $2500 (fairly new one)

both in very good to excellent condition

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

If you believe the Machine Gun Price Guide, MAC-10s are averaging just under $8000 right now. You've made nearly $5500 in 13 years. That's a solid return.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
My wife and I bought matching Yachtmaster in Rolessor a years ago. White dials. Recently sold them for double what I paid. They were a solid investment.
If you’re serious about picking up a Rolex, check out what DavidSW has to offer. He’s a solid guy to deal with and his watches are exactly as described.
You can also see as dfens said, some are going for more than retail. If you can pick up a 116710BLNR (Batman) from a Rolex dealer, it’ll be worth a few thousand more the moment you walk out the door.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome thanks for the info. I'm surprised at the sub/gmt prices back then. Looks like they have appreciated very similar to the Mac.

I'm going to go ahead and state the obvious...dang i wish i had bought a watch back then too.

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Bro,I was in Hawaii a little over a year ago. I had a 116710BLNR on my wrist. This was just before the 15% bump in prices. I could have walked out of the Rolex store at just over $8k with it. Had I kept it in the coffin with plastics in tact and untouched, it would be a $15k watch today.
It’s impossible to know what they will hold back on making and increase the gray market on, but gold is never a loser. Plus there’s nothing sweeter that a smurf (116619) on your wrist. Nicest watch ever imho.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
You can show off the Rolex at a party or the office.
From an investment standpoint, there plenty of funds out there that will do well over time.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
You can show off the Rolex at a party or the office.
From an investment standpoint, there plenty of funds out there that will do well over time.

Agreed, but... 180% ROI in 15 months?
Now, no bullshit, an IRA or Roth, or something like Fidelity Retirement isn’t as quick a return, or nearly as nice to wear, and not 1% as flashy, but is a solid investment for your future. Fidelity has gained me tenfold what my Rolex did, but it took twice the time.

Solid advice mate. Not being a dick, but honestly, it’s solid advice. The money spent on the Mac10 would have been worth more in a decent investment account now.

There’s still something about wearing a Rolex that is awesome. Now I wear a Luminox. Great watch, but I miss the Rolex everyday.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
If you can pick up a 116710BLNR (Batman) from a Rolex dealer, it’ll be worth a few thousand more the moment you walk out the door.

This is going on right now with the SS Pepsi. Of course, in order to be able to walk out of a AD with one right now, you've waited a year or you're a somebody. This type of appreciation doesn't happen with watches that sit on display, they're all pre-sold.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post