SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    So, I rewatched Hitchcock’s The Birds, last night
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, I rewatched Hitchcock’s The Birds, last night Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
WTF???

I must have seen it a dozen times in my youth. That is all i remember.
Still smile thinking of Mel Brooks spoof scene.

But this was like Dawn of the Dead with seagulls and crows and a twist of S. King’s The Mist, all of them way more recent, of course.

But i just can’t figure out what the fuzz was all about.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12258 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I watched Psycho and The Birds earlier this year. Second time for me, for both of them.

I also found The Birds underwhelming. There are some good scenes. I found the aerial shot very impressive, and I recall enjoying a scene in the diner, and the scene with the birds on the jungle gym.

The female protagonist is a darn psychopath. She's a dang stalker. I found the male lead to be likeable.

Posts: 2457 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I recognize some incredible merits to he film but the script was sort of fragmented and rushed in certain parts, so please no screaming heresy at me.

The actors perfomance was stiff most of the time and over acted the rest of the time.

Yes, the lady was a serious stalker. Rod Taylor behave like he was hung like a donkey and attracted girls as flies… The characters and the situation were a curious match.

There must have aspects of this movie that my young self overlooked and was happy with what he got out of the movie and my current self has trouble overlooking

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12258 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't fall into the trap of applying values of the mid-2020's to anything at all made SIXTY YEARS ago! (Movies, cars, guns...etc)

Imagine, instead, how we as human beings will be viewed in the 2080's and beyond. I'll suggest that it will be something similar to how we view Witch Burning in the 1600's. It's all in your perspective.

Hitchcock as a director was noted for his droll humor and stiff acting, and Tippi Hedrin's character reflected that -- she was a caricature. Hugh Hefner's ideal woman, as mocked by Hitchcock. You have to view his movies as such.

Personally, I like The Birds, but possibly because I saw it in the theater when it was released. I grew up in the 1950's and 1960's and it fit well with the times. That's all I ask of it.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9364 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
What was remarkable about The Birds was that the movie was such a departure from Hitchcock's signature style. He could create terror or other intense emotions through plotline, direction and camera angles alone. You rarely physically saw anything visually graphic or explicit. He was that good, and was deservedly called the "master of suspense".

The movie was ground-breaking in many ways, for example the first time animals were seen attacking humans in an organized way, making it a precursor to similar modern disaster films. But that's not why it's so remembered.

In The Birds you actually saw people with their eyes gouged out or being viciously attacked. Your reaction would fade once past the initial shock, and the very reason it's Hitchcock's most (in)famous movie is the fact that it was so unHitchcock.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16867 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Something I’ve never seen any reference to is that “The Birds” was first presented as a half hour (IIRC) radio broadcast. I heard it as a kid on Armed Forces Radio when my father was stationed in France, in probably 1960 or so. At the time it was apparently a British production because there was some reference made to “the Americans.” A few years later when the movie was released and I was back in the US, my thought was, “I know that story.”

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47655 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The original story was in French, written by Daphne DuMaurier. We studied it in French class in the early 1960's. Compared with the movie, it was just a skeleton of a plot.
In a similar way Hemingway's short story The Killers was fluffed into a feature length movie.

Posts: 18342 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

This happened in our front yard a few years ago. You hardly ever see a turkey vulture on the ground unless they are dining.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10873 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea but...Tippi Hedren AND Suzanne Pleshette and me in the throes of puberty...Eek

Posts: 763 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, helluva thing for kids like you and me who grew up on Annette Funicello! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9364 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The Birds is a movie like 2001 where the film is intentionally light on plot and heavy on the experience.

Posts: 4423 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
The original story was in French, written by Daphne DuMaurier.

Another interesting fact; thanks. Smile

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47655 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I grew up in the little Sonoma County, CA town of Sebastopol, which is only about 7 miles from Bodega and 10 miles from Bodega Bay. It was very amusing to see how Hitchcock changed the geography for the movie. IIRC the "Bodega Bay School" was actually in Bodega. There is a scene in which it appears Bodega Bay has far more streets than it should. Looking back, I can appreciate better the Aston-Martin DB3 roadster.

Posts: 18342 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Another interesting fact; thanks. Smile

The Birds was the 3rd adaptation of her work that Hitchcock made with the first being an unknown movie called Jamaica Inn and the 2nd being his first US film in Rebecca.

Posts: 4423 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hitchcock was special. By today'standards the special effects are laughable. I have seen most of his films. Screen Arts was a favorite of mine in College. Rebecca was great.

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I found a short clip that illustrates Hitchcock's more customary methodology. Two bungling burglars (you might recognize one of them) surprise a homeowner (played by E.G. Marshall) in his basement. A struggle ensues, and Marshall temporarily escapes. But the camera never follows to the exact moment of capture. Instead it just hangs there, enticing the viewer to use their imagination as to how the brawl might have taken place.

Hard to imagine any modern director letting slip a chance to show some awesome graphic martial arts superhero sequence. All Hitchcock had to do was hold the camera still. Completely different approach than The Birds.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16867 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post