SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Amazon Has Released a Trailer for Tom Clancy's Without Remorse...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon Has Released a Trailer for Tom Clancy's Without Remorse... Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with the trope. It’s the fact they are taking a great story with a great period aesthetic and saying “Nahhhhhh they’ll never know”.

If they had named this something else or we’re starting a new IP I’d happily be on board. At worst it looks fun and ‘spody. But to call it Without Remorse. Fuck that I’m out.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
There is nothing wrong with the trope. It’s the fact they are taking a great story with a great period aesthetic and saying “Nahhhhhh they’ll never know”.

If they had named this something else or we’re starting a new IP I’d happily be on board. At worst it looks fun and ‘spody. But to call it Without Remorse. Fuck that I’m out.

That is the core of the offense. John Wick was not based on a book, and we all loved it. And all they did was kill his dog.

Jodi Foster did a great take on the class revenge/vigilante movie in 2007 much like Charles Bronson way back in the 70's.

We have always loved the story of the revenge/vigilante, but to take a book that tells the creation story of a near mythological character in the Clancyverse just to make a few bucks . . . The Widow is farming as much money out of this as she can. The whole "who owns Jack Ryan and such" is getting ugly, with the first wife and the 2nd wife in a legal war. I tended to think that the original novels were the under the control of the 1st wife and the later stuff under the control of the 2nd wife. and it goes downhill from there Smile

Even the judge after 89pages, still cant figure it out.
Link

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
We have always loved the story of the revenge/vigilante, but to take a book that tells the creation story of a near mythological character in the Clancyverse just to make a few bucks . . .

That's the problem, right there.

It sounds like a typical Hollyweird mindless bubble gum action flick. That, in itself, is fine. I know I've watched and enjoyed more than my share of such forgettable fare. But what they've done here is attached a much-revered author's and character's name to the thing. Some of us find that sufficiently annoying that we'll be taking a pass. Doubly-so because it looks like they've added a liberal dash of wokeism.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Karen Greer?

That's just dumb.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I am not the best at these things, and so my Google kung fu is weak. But I have not been able to find where the script was approved by either family. I know Paramount sold it to Amazon Prime but I do not know if the ex wife and widow were involved.

I have not met a Clancy fan yet that is looking forward to the movie.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
"I really need to speak to the manager of the navy, immediately!!!"

-Karen Greer

quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Karen Greer?

That's just dumb.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
We have always loved the story of the revenge/vigilante, but to take a book that tells the creation story of a near mythological character in the Clancyverse just to make a few bucks . . .

That's the problem, right there.

It sounds like a typical Hollyweird mindless bubble gum action flick. That, in itself, is fine. I know I've watched and enjoyed more than my share of such forgettable fare. But what they've done here is attached a much-revered author's and character's name to the thing. Some of us find that sufficiently annoying that we'll be taking a pass. Doubly-so because it looks like they've added a liberal dash of wokeism.

Hence the crux of why Hollweird buys the rights to the story: they control it, and then they can warp it. Its as bad as the music industry when it comes to distribution rights and such. In this case, just having the title Tom Clancy's Without Remorse and using the character names Clark, Ritter & Greer is all they bought, everything else, they've manufactured out of thin air because...well, woke. Mad

Regarding Michael B. Jordan, I agree, he's not very dynamic actor, very wooden, incapable of embracing the role but instead just plays...himself.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:

-Karen Greer

quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Karen Greer?

That's just dumb.

Big Grin

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Willem Dafoe shall always be Clark in my mind. I wanted a Without Remorse with him smokechecking pimps in decompression chambers then leaving them for the crabs.

I also don't know that all of the premises of the book work in the modern world. FU Hollywood.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Makes me want to re-read the book, been a long time.
Will have to put it in the queue after the Jackie Stewart bio.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr_Black
posted Hide Post
Just watched it on Prime last night and it was pretty much just as bad a predicted. To say that it's based on the book is a stretch. There's a scene after the credits that sets up the sequel.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 880 | Location: NW PA | Registered: October 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I didn't last 20 minutes. Yes it is that bad. Other than the name John Clark and being a SEAL, that is all it has to do with the book. Go woke, go broke. Over to Netflix to watch some Korean action series or Stargate series.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is by far my favorite Clancy novel and one of my favorite reads period. The preview alone is enough to make me not want to watch it. Hollywood ruins everything it touches.

To boot, this has been in the works for ages. I remember being pumped the first time I heard it was gonna be a movie and that was like a decade ago. Obviously it must’ve changed hands some cause back then Amazon was just an online store.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:

-Karen Greer

Wait... what?!?! "the manager of the Navy?" Is that line actually in the movie?

If so: That's even more st00pid than substituting Karen Greer for James Greer in the name of wokism.

Btw: Just for grins I quickly looked at reviews for this abortion. Overwhelmingly negative--in every single respect.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
This is by far my favorite Clancy novel ...

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but Red Storm Rising has always been my favorite.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr_Black
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
This is by far my favorite Clancy novel and one of my favorite reads period. The preview alone is enough to make me not want to watch it. Hollywood ruins everything it touches.

The ending strongly suggests that the sequel will be based on the book Rainbow Six, which was another one of my favorites. I don't suppose there's any chance that they'll stick to the book and keep eco-terrorists as the main villians.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 880 | Location: NW PA | Registered: October 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
keep eco-terrorists as the main villians.

I am pretty sure the "villians" will be white nationalist/capitalists with some sort of slogan like MAGA who have interfered with the Paris Climate Change Accords. As for me, I am out. I want to be entertained, not lectured.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
By any other name & the premise for this series would’ve been fine. Without Remorse just leaves you with remorse for what’s been done with a TC classic..

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I watched it last night. It was underwhelming.

I did learn one thing tho: "Karen" (how apt...) was wearing a male officer's cover which I thought was an error. Turns out that some time in the last 30 years, that's actually become a thing. I think it looks goofy, but I'm a curmudgeon.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
keep eco-terrorists as the main villians.

I am pretty sure the "villians" will be white nationalist/capitalists with some sort of slogan like MAGA who have interfered with the Paris Climate Change Accords.

You can almost bet the rent on it.

quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
As for me, I am out. I want to be entertained, not lectured.

As do I, which is one reason I won't see any of these or any follow-ups. Our Amazon Prime subscription expires in sixteen days.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
It was horrible.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post