SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Best Band From Every State (Does the article have it right?)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Band From Every State (Does the article have it right?) Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
So, Alabama isn't the best band from Alabama???

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
While I get that they feel the need to put Tom Petty as Florida's "best" since he just died, they are wrong.

Lynyrd Skynyrd is Florida music. They launched a whole bevvy of Florida bands to the limelight! .38 Special, Molly Hatchet, hell, probably even Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, are all nothing without Skynyrd.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
My favorite band from Illinois is Loudmouth, but it's hard to compete with Earth, Wind, and Fire.

And, REO Speedwagon

Chicago?

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
hard to argue with " Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers from Florida.

Any list that doesn't have Lynyrd Skynyrd, is a fail - I'll take Free Bird over Free Falling any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Most of this list is WTF.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I didn't expect much from this type of article, so I wasn't surprised.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
OutKast for Georgia? I would say Zack Brown Band tops them, but Allman Brothers or Ray Charles would probably be more accurate.

OutKast? Weird.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Just saw 311 last night in town here. Some serious music from Omaha, Nebraska.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The list seems very skewed toward newer groups and not older ones, Pennsylvania had The Roots listed, I would have said The Hooters maybe.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCourage:
OutKast for Georgia? I would say Zack Brown Band tops them, but Allman Brothers or Ray Charles would probably be more accurate.

OutKast? Weird.

dude, outkast is huge. they are absolutely one of the biggest rap "groups" in history. extremely influential. They're not bigger than ABB, but they're much bigger and more influential than ZBB.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
These lists are always stupid. They are designed to upset you, to show how the authors are more knowledgeable or in touch with the subject than you are. And then to generate contrived drama over the results so they get talked about in radio, web sites, etc.

It's all bullshit

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Texas - Destiny's Child - WTF?

SRV and Double Trouble, ZZ Top,Pantera? "McFly, McFly"!

If you take a deep breath and try to compare the actual success any of those bands had to the perceived success that Beyonce has then Destiny's Child wins. Unfortunately.

IMO Beyonce's solo career should be judged independently from the body of work of DC. I don't think if you stack the just the work and success of DC up next to the body of work and success of ZZ Top it's really even close. Now, I'll admit I grew up hearing ZZ Top on the radio every day, whereas I've only ever been peripherally aware of DC, but my perception is that ZZ Top had a much bigger, more dedicated fan base and made a bigger impact on the industry and culture. On top of that, I think when you ask most people, "name a band from Texas," the reply you'll get most frequently will be "ZZ Top."

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
In 100yrs virtually no one will be digging through record crates to find Beyonce classics that had a lasting impact on music, because there aren't any. "I'm a survivor, I'm no gon' give up" only gets you so far, same with booty shaking, and performing at the Super Bowl.

She's no Aretha, no Nina, no Janet, no Whitney, she isn't even as good as Mariah, and she isn't even in the top 10 female singers ever. Most of her music is tripe, vacuous pop tripe. She and Destiny's Child won't even be remembered above TLC, 50+yrs from now.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jersey was no shock.

Maryland was some band I never heard of and I hadn't heard of any of the others mentioned. I was shocked it wasn't Clutch since they are so Maryland proud, its crazy.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
quote:
My favorite band from Illinois is Loudmouth, but it's hard to compete with Earth, Wind, and Fire.

And, REO Speedwagon

Chicago?

Styx, Survivor...

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
quote:
Texas - Destiny's Child - WTF?

SRV and Double Trouble, ZZ Top,Pantera? "McFly, McFly"!

If you take a deep breath and try to compare the actual success any of those bands had to the perceived success that Beyonce has then Destiny's Child wins. Unfortunately.

IMO Beyonce's solo career should be judged independently from the body of work of DC. I don't think if you stack the just the work and success of DC up next to the body of work and success of ZZ Top it's really even close. Now, I'll admit I grew up hearing ZZ Top on the radio every day, whereas I've only ever been peripherally aware of DC, but my perception is that ZZ Top had a much bigger, more dedicated fan base and made a bigger impact on the industry and culture. On top of that, I think when you ask most people, "name a band from Texas," the reply you'll get most frequently will be "ZZ Top."

The article said, "Only groups, not individual artists, are considered," was a criterion; therefore, Beyonce's solo success absolutely should be judged independently from Destiny's Child.

How's this for a TX band that made a large industrial and cultural impact - Buddy *fucking* Holly and the Crickets. I'll concede Holly's two bandmates who rounded out The Crickets are largely forgotten, but nonetheless, they were a band.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Who the hell are the Pixies?

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
The authors of that article are pretty much idiots.
Looking at the bands chosen, it is starkly evident that the musical taste evidenced by the authors' picks is idiosyncratic.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
In 100yrs virtually no one will be digging through record crates to find Beyonce classics that had a lasting impact on music, because there aren't any. "I'm a survivor, I'm no gon' give up" only gets you so far, same with booty shaking, and performing at the Super Bowl.

She's no Aretha, no Nina, no Janet, no Whitney, she isn't even as good as Mariah, and she isn't even in the top 10 female singers ever. Most of her music is tripe, vacuous pop tripe. She and Destiny's Child won't even be remembered above TLC, 50+yrs from now.

HAHA Mariah, theres a whole lotta crazy there.

Let me describe this list for you. The guy came up with a great idea and then gave up cause it was too much work before even finishing the "A" states.

Surprised GreenDay didnt make the list or Skynyrd. Perhaps they should redo the list based on genre.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
hard to argue with " Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers from Florida.

It is hard to argue with that choice, but if I were to argue, I would offer the Allman Brothers Band for Florida.

West Virginia is a good pick with Asleep At The Wheel.

KY is the bluegrass state, after all. My choice would be one of the premier bluegrass bands from that state, J.D. Crowe and the New South, and its later variants.

Most of the states' choices I've not even heard of. TX, well, if they didn't have the stupid "post WW2" requirement, then Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys would be my choice, with SRV & Double Trouble right after that.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
Who the hell are the Pixies?

You never heard of the Pixies?

Very influential late-80's to mid-90's alt-rock group.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post