SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Wars Last Jedi --- SPOILER thread for discussion
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Last Jedi --- SPOILER thread for discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I don't think Netflix pays royalties on a per view basis. I think they just license the movie for a certain period of time and however many views it gets doesn't make any difference.

Part of me wants to just forget TLJ ever happened and another part of me wants to rewatch it to see if it's as disappointing as I remember or if it gets better on rewatch.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Have they ever recalled a movie? How about #recallTLJ

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Part of me wants to just forget TLJ ever happened and another part of me wants to rewatch it to see if it's as disappointing as I remember or if it gets better on rewatch.

There's nothing that can possibly be redeemed by watching it a second time. That Asian chick is annoying as fuck, Luke and Leia somehow reversed roles and Leia became all-powerful while Luke was a washed-up chump, and the one thing I wanted most to see--Snoke being a badass--never came to fruition.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Don't re watch it, it will just make it twice as bad. You will notice MORE bad things the second time. It would be like seeing two ugly fat men have gay sex.......why would you look a second time???????????????? Eek

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw it popped up on my feed. I ignored it. I don't want to relive it again. I read the book. It didn't help.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I just watched it in reverse.

Now it all makes sense!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell:
I saw it popped up on my feed. I ignored it. I don't want to relive it again. I read the book. It didn't help.

Yeah the book sucked ass too. Fart jokes... In Star Wars. Nope.

At least I didn't pay for the book, I pirated it. I never do that, but I refused to add any more of my "angry white male" dollars to support this farce. I'm was hoping the novel would have more about Snoke, but nope.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
If you don't want the full 4 hours, here's a review with some salty language.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:

There's nothing that can possibly be redeemed by watching it a second time. That Asian chick is annoying as fuck, Luke and Leia somehow reversed roles and Leia became all-powerful while Luke was a washed-up chump, and the one thing I wanted most to see--Snoke being a badass--never came to fruition.

Yeah, I put it on yesterday while I did chores. 2nd time just pointed how much more it was a B movie. It didn’t even watch well at home. That Asian actress was a terrible cast as was Laura Dern and even the costume people, purple hair? Also screams Kennedy, all women in charge. What I thought was funny was the salt speeders at the end, they show each pilot and its woman, this ethnicity, that ethnicity, just a big SJW fest akin to a hotdog eating contest.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12638 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Laura Dern was awful. The character sucked and she sucked acting it.

Zero gravitas for a supposed admiral

Fuck you Rian Johnson

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lord Vaalic,

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
So, PASig, one of the people that really hated TLJ version of Luke Skywaller was.... Luke Skywalker

https://www.dailywire.com/news...6-news&utm_campaign= S

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That's not small secret. He's been very vocal about his disagreement with Rian Johnson's vision of the character. At some point, he stopped openly criticizing the character decisions and it's the community rumor that Disney told him to shut his mouth.

Also, fuck Rian Johnson. Just had to get that out.

Posts: 17132 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I went against my above post, I forced myself to watch the last Jedi again on Netflix based on a friend's request. Yes, it was still stinking crap but I realized, they finally hit a new low with a character; Rose was actually a worse character than Jar Jar Binks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jsbcody,

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Fuck Rian Johnson

Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of really long jokes that have a horrible punchline and when what makes the joke funny is the fact that the juice is not worth the listening squeeze. TLJ is perfect in this role.

Two family members hadn't seen it so I suggested they watch it. "You have to...it's a Star Wars movie!" They fell for it. I enjoyed watching their reactions and for every question they threw at me I just replied "I won't spoil it..just keep watching." Misery loves company and this was the best joke ever.

"Do we find out who Snoke is?" Sshh just watch.
"Wait! Leia is friggin Mary Poppins? Where was all this power before?" Sshh. Watch what happens next.

"How are those bombs "dropping"?" Sshh..Star Wars physics. Just watch."

"So Yoda can now use the force from Valhalla? Why didn't he do this before?" Sshh...yes...yes he can. Isn't it awesome? Just watch.

It...was...delicious.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
People seem to be hung up on the bombers so here's a video offering four different possibilities to how they're capable of doing bombing runs in space:

https://youtu.be/VT8Lvzfz7iw

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bombs dropping in space is definitely not new to Last Jedi...that goes all the way back to Empire Strikes Back, with TIE Bombers trying to flush out the Falcon from the asteroid, though I supposed you can argue that the asteroid may have had minor gravity.

As for the rest...yeah.

I think what pissed me off most was I really wanted to know more about Snoke and who he was...

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
As far as the bombing goes you can pretty much rule gravity out, at least in the eyes of one astronomer.

"The action appears to take place far from the surface of any planet, so the pull from any planetary gravity would be low. There would also be a small amount of gravitational pull between the bombs and the spaceship itself, but nowhere near enough to cause the kind of acceleration depicted in the movie, in Engle’s eyes.

“The rate at which they fall is simply too fast,” he said."

Link to Philly.com article

As far as the magnetic theory goes, not only is it spot on but also is pretty illustrative of the real problem with this movie. The following excerpt is from an article on Nerdist wherein Visual Effects Supervisor on TLJ Ben Morris discusses the bombing scene.

"How exactly does the process of dropping bombs work in zero gravity, out of orbit? Sure, there were TIE bombers in The Empire Strikes Back as well, but the fact that such a thing exists in Star Wars canon doesn’t answer the question of how. According to visual effects supervisor Ben Morris, however, this was something his team thought carefully about for a long time.

“We did all go, ‘How do bombs drop in space?'” Morris told Nerdist. “And we sat there for ages. And then Rian [Johnson] said, ‘They’re Maglev [magnetic] bombs. It’s Star Wars. Let’s not worry. Let’s move on.'”

Lin to Nerdist article

Sure, there's a lot of things not explained in all the Star Wars movies. The problem with this one is that Rian Johnson seemed to take the track of "It's Star Wars. Let's not worry." with most elements of the plot of this movie, not just the science.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I didn't find it to be total crap.
Yeah Chewbacca got a lesson in vaganism.
And hot shot pilot got kicked in the balls by women.
But it wasn't a total wash.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39755 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Why bombs and not missiles?

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post