SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Gallagher the comedian "Sledgeamatic" has died
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gallagher the comedian "Sledgeamatic" has died Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
I always liked Gallagher and his comedy and of course his Sledgeamatic smashing videos of watermelons and such. He just passed away at the age of 76.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/ne...ermelons-1235430439/

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

That just don't seem possible, the math be damned

Posts: 107750 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Gallagher made me roar with laughter as a kid. I remember there was some type of controversy with his brother stealing his act?

As these comedians of my youth begin to die off, I still shake my head that Artie Lange continues to outlive them all.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12350 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"You want that cheeseburger to go? That son of a bitch is.... Gone"!
I thought his act was hilarious.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16126 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
"Is it just that easy"? Yes Gallagher, 'tis.

RIP, sir. You were hilarious.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think his was one of the first 'shows' on cable that became a hit in the early, early 80's, that show launched his career and cable television viewership was off

Watermelon for everyone!

Posts: 14697 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
A true comic, who brought many smiles to my face.

R.I.P. Sir!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36845 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were offered free tickets to see his show while living in L.A.

Then they told us that the seats were in the second row of a smallish theatre.

We passed.
Liked watching him on the tube though.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54712 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I always enjoyed the bits about how silly the English language can be. Smile

Posts: 11365 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
A couple of his jokes come to mind. Smile

Why do politicians always pose for pictures with their families? Vote for me, my dick works.

Why don't they make butt flavored cat food?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8367 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
First time I saw his shtick when he brought out his sledge-o-matic I thought you gotta be kidding me and laughed out loud. Always enjoyed his antics.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16257 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
My Wife and I saw him perform a few times when he was in the Chicago area.
Always a guaranteed good time.

Posts: 4639 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Before watching his act on a cable TV special, or seeing him appear on late night TV shows like Letterman, if you had told me that a comedian could make people laugh by smashing food and soaking them in it, I would've said "no way"...until the first time I watched him.

What's interesting about Gallagher, at least to me, is that he was gifted enough that he could move back and forth between comedic styles, moving from physical comedy and the use of ingenious props to the more standard form of comedy in making life observations while telling jokes.

My condolences to his friends and family.

You were wacky, but you made me laugh...so thanks for the laughter Gallagher.

For those who may never have watched his act, a couple samples.

@ 7 minute (* profanity warning)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f0fYCF1JNlg

@ 7 minute

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A-wK-RLlWKA

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I saw him in a small club back in the early 90's. Third row. I came home with pork n beans stuck to my back, somehow. He was great.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed his act but saw him crash and burn one night on Carson. He was just starting out and made the mistake of thinking he could trade ad libs with the big boys.Tommy Smothers was also on the couch and Gallagher made some biting remarks about the Smothers Brothers. Tommy, who was the exact opposite of the fool he portrayed in his act, proceeded to verbally cut him to ribbons.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post