SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Trainwreck: Woodstock ‘99
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trainwreck: Woodstock ‘99 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I totally disagree with RATM's politics, but I do like the energy of their music. Of the CD's I have of theirs, I purchased them 2nd hand so they wouldn't get royalties. My small snub I suppose.

Tony

Posts: 314 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tonydec:
I totally disagree with RATM's politics, but I do like the energy of their music. Of the CD's I have of theirs, I purchased them 2nd hand so they wouldn't get royalties. My small snub I suppose.

This 100%. I love the sound and energy. I try my best to not pay attention to what the lyrics are actually saying.
I have intentionally and actively done this for quite some time and I am not sure I can say that for any other band group I listen to.

Tom Morello has a show on Sirius XM he played a song by his kid and their friends. The lyrics were complete climate change nonsense. He was talking about how proud he was of what they wrote.
These were little kids and not a chance in the world they wrote those lyrics.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being a young adult in the 90's with a few coins in my pocket, my friends and I contemplated crossing the country to attend. A revival of the original Woodstock, sure why not, the line-up had headliners like Metallica, Red Hots, Korn, etc...

At the time, the mega-arena concerts that rock bands enjoyed through the 70-90's were waning and the festival concerts that we know today hadn't really matured in their format. Lollapalooza was fading and Bonnaroo hadn't been conceived, Ozzfest, EDC and Coachella were just starting but they took another decade to fully develop to what it is today, much of that due to social media.

The '99 Woodstock show was clearly a money grab, concerts by the mid-80's were all had a big corporation attached to it, usually a bank; promoters had gotten savy and the good ones secured funding. However the '99 Woodstock show had a overwhelming number of corporate participants, MTV was huge and there was this overbearing mantra amongst music media that this was some sort of revival, an attempt to tap back into the vibe of the '69 concert. The reality was it looked like it indeed was a pure money grab, a lot of people that were the decision makers were not experienced concert promoters, and with such a large crowd of young people there was lack of planning and preparedness. To have so many people in attendance and not have 'other things to do' besides the music, people are prone to create their own entertainment or, stupidity...which is what they did. Last year's disaster at the Astroworld Festival in Houston, sounds like similar people doing the same thing.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I was busy working my ass off in restaurants working 80-90 hour weeks in ‘99 and never paid any attention to this, but looked it up on Wikipedia.

HOLY. SHIT. Eek Eek Eek

This should have been called Woodstock 180 or Anti-Woodstock because it appeared to take EVERYTHING from the 1969 original and do the opposite. Instead of mellow hippies tripping on acid, you had angry Gen Xers smashing and burning shit and people dying.

Wow.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
My son went to this. They left a little early before all the fires and destruction. They had a great time. Came back with loads of pics of all the girls who were body painted from waist up. They didn’t have a care in the world walking around, getting their pics taken.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post