SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Shadow in the Cloud
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shadow in the Cloud Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
Starring Chloë Grace Moretz (“Hit-Girl” from Kick Ass). A decent monster movie set on a B-17 during WWII.

The movie soars to new heights of belief suspension, yet manages to stay relatively grounded (if that’s the right term) largely by her riveting performance. Reminiscent of Sigourney Weaver’s iconic performance in Aliens, right down to the final hand-to-hand (err, claw) fight scene. The actual monster isn't quite as menacing as the Alien, IMO, but I spent the movie watching Chloë anyway.

Seeing her unload twin fifties on enemy Japanese fighters might be worth the admission price.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Is this On Demand or at the theater?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
That looks super fun.

Chloe Grace is a pretty solid actress but man she grew up in what seems lot a hot second. Frown

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Is this On Demand or at the theater?

It opened today with limited release in theaters. I streamed it from Fandango.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
My wife rented this from Redbox last night.

It's quite possibly the worst movie we've ever seen. Ever.

We were laughing in disgust after the first ten minutes...I couldn't believe a studio would put up the money to make this B-side farce of a flick.

The certainly didn't do anything to honor those women who flew aircraft transport in WWII. Disgraced them actually.

But maybe I'm in the wrong business...

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I thought it was hilariously stupid. The first half that takes place just inside the belly turret had me thinking it was the cheapest and lamest film I'd seen in a long while. At around the halfway mark when Chloe is hanging from the bottom of the fuselage at 20,000 feet, I was like, "I'm sorry. I thought you were a completely different movie. You seem to know how ridiculous and lame you are. Carry on."

I mean, nothing evokes more imagery of 1940s wartime than synthwave electronica music ... wait, what?!

I rate films on an absolute scale from 10 to -10, so I gave this one a -7, and |-7| = 7 on my entertainment scale.

Posts: 5586 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
I thought it was hilariously stupid. The first half that takes place just inside the belly turret had me thinking it was the cheapest and lamest film I'd seen in a long while. At around the halfway mark when Chloe is hanging from the bottom of the fuselage at 20,000 feet, I was like, "I'm sorry. I thought you were a completely different movie. You seem to know how ridiculous and lame you are. Carry on."

I mean, nothing evokes more imagery of 1940s wartime than synthwave electronica music ... wait, what?!

I rate films on an absolute scale from 10 to -10, so I gave this one a -7, and |-7| = 7 on my entertainment scale.

Agreed. "Laughing in Disgust" wasn't the best choice of phrase.

"Laughing in Disbelief" maybe.

You said it better.

Yes. It was so bad that it was entertaining on the stupid scale.

But when they showed historical photos of women transport flyers at the end I concluded that the "filmmakers" actually were serious about honoring those women and their service.

What a facepalm of a film. Apart from spider walking a B17 at 22,000 feet surely.....surely there is a better story to tell about these women than what became "Shadow in the Cloud".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: x0225095,

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
But when they showed historical photos of women transport flyers at the end I concluded that the "filmmakers" actually were serious about honoring those women and their service.

I loved that! That killed me! It's like, "In honor of all the women flight officers." You mean, all the women that served in the war that fought gremlins and held babies dangling from bombers? Those women?!

quote:

Surely. Surely there is a better story to tell about these women than what became "Shadow in the Cloud".

Yes, there's obviously a better story to tell ... but, is there a WORSE story to tell? I think that THAT is what this film achieves, and I mean that in a positive light too!

Posts: 5586 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post