SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Re-reading Jurassic Park
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-reading Jurassic Park Login/Join 
posted
This novel recently popped up in my library app. It's been 28 years since it's original release, and my one and only read. I downloaded the book and am just about finished with it. Having seen the movies about a bazillion times, I am struck by how different the book and movie are. Grant loves kids, there is no relationship between Grant and Sattler, and Tim's sister Lex is a little whiny girl, not the heroine shown in the movie. Some characters are missing and or consolidated from many into one. It's been a fun read, seeing all the source material and how it was hacked up and pieced together to make the iconic original movie, as well as plot pieces that were used in some of the sequels. And, it's still a great read all on it's own, just like it was all those years ago.

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
It's a really good book; probably Chricton's best. I've read it a couple times. It's a lot better story in the book, IMO. For one thing, a LOT more people died (they didn't evac for the 'hurricane'). Without spoiling TOO much, John Hammond was a kid-hating mean old SOB, and Malcolm died in the first book. However, the first movie was such a financial hit, that Crichton wrote a sequel. I guess they knew by then that Goldbloom was the only recurring main character, so they 'un-killed' him for the second book. Again, they had two whiny kids in the book instead of the one black gymnast girl. The second book is WAY different than the movie; even more so than the first one.

I've seen various themes from the book popping up in the later movies. The 'birdcage' scene from JPIII was from the first book, and in the 2nd book, there was a guy on a motorcycle chasing raptors through the jungle (like in JW).

That scene in the book was really stupid, as one of the children locked themselves in a 'shark cage' (steel cage). The raptors couldn't get to her, so they picked up the cage and carried it (while running) through the jungle while being chased by the human on the bike. I've read that a couple times, and it just doesn't work.

I picked up copies in my local thrift store. For $1-2 each, it's money well spent.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I love most of Crichton’s novels. Jurassic Park definitely counts among his best. Eaters of the Dead is probably the worst because it’s too blatant a variation of Beowulf.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18024 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of the Crichton novels that I have read, I have enjoyed JP, The Lost World, The Andromeda Strain, and Congo the most. I did not like Eaters of the Dead or Sphere nearly as much.

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
All good. Those I know: The Andromeda Strain, Eaters of the Dead (aka The 13th Warrior), Congo, Sphere, Jurassic Park, and Airframe. I'll always remember rhymes with frighten.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Crichton was one of my favorite authors. Timeline and Prey were really good.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post